Search for a value across multiple columns, and return the value in another column (same row)

kdmorris85

Hello Excel masters!

I know how to do a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH to have it search a single column, but this is giving me trouble..I need to search multiple columns.
  • I am given data in 1 column (A)
  • I want to search for this data across multiple columns (H,I,J). In this example I put it on the same sheet, but this data is actually on Sheet2. I color coded the matching values so you can more easily see what needs to be done.
  • I want it to return the corresponding value from column F
  • There will not be any duplicates across the searched columns. Every value in H,I,J will be unique.

Please help, I would be eternally grateful.

Capture3.jpg

[...]
B2{=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!D$6:D$15,1/(1/MIN(IF(Sheet2!$H$6:$J$14=$A2,ROW($H$7:$J$15)-ROW($H$7)+1)))),"No Match")}

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
[...]

Let's not invoke the expression 1/(1/X) because it's risky. (1/X) might turn up to be a decimal of 16 digits. Excel allows for 15 and rounds the 16th digit, making the expression to return a wrong number. (I encountered this problem recently and made a note this behavior, but I cannot find the thread right now.)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
If the given value from A will only occur once in columns H I or J, then try

=SUMPRODUCT(($H$6:$J$14=A1)*$F$6:$F$14)
Very nice. If the only values to be returned are numeric, then this works great. In fact, you can easily tweak it to handle multiple columns:

B2: =SUMPRODUCT((Sheet2!$H$6:$J$14=$A2)*Sheet2!D$6:D$14)

copy across and down. A not-found condition will return a 0 value.

Aladin Akyurek said:
Let's not invoke the expression 1/(1/X) because it's risky. (1/X) might turn up to be a decimal of 16 digits. Excel allows for 15 and rounds the 16th digit, making the expression to return a wrong number. (I encountered this problem recently and made a note this behavior, but I cannot find the thread right now.)

You raise an interesting point. I'd seen the 1/(1/x construction and wondered if there might be rounding issues. I haven't seen any personally yet, so I continued to use it. If you can find the thread, I'd be interested. In this case, I'm performing the 1/1/x on the row number, with a value of 0 meaning no match. By using the array portion twice (inefficient), I could avoid the 1/1/x. Using the 1/1/x, if the row is 7 (for example), then we'd get a unending decimal with potential rounding issues. I wondered if putting a ROUND() around it, if that might alleviate some potential problems. As it turns out though, INDEX seems to have some rounding built into it. INDEX(A1:A6,2.999999) will return the 2nd item in the list, while INDEX(A1:A6,2.9999999) returns the 3rd item. With just over a million possible rows (7 digits), 15 digits of precision would seem to be enough to handle row numbers and still stay within INDEX's rounding ability. I know I'm making a lot of assumptions here, so it's very possible I'm missing something. More information / opinions welcome.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your contributions. They all worked to do what I needed, I appreciate the overwhelming response. I'm sure someone else out there will also find this useful. If I can recall, this isn't the first time I've had to do this, but before it was just a small amount of data so I was able to do it manually. Thank you all again, I wish I was half as competent as you guys.

Upvote 0
Just noticed now!!!!
In Post #8, the following line
Code:
c.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 4).Value = Sheets("Sheet3").Cells(Sheets("Sheet3").Range("H1:J" & lr).Find(c.Value, , , 1).Row, 4).Resize(, 4).Value
should be
Code:
c.Offset(, 1).Resize(, 4).Value = Sheets("Sheet3").Cells(tbc.Row, 4).Resize(, 4).Value

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back