Search for Sheet Names

rossbritton26

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet with around 200 sheets in, each sheet has a name containing a policy number and there is normally another small part such as 01-000. I have the following code:

Sub FindPolicy()
Dim SearchData As String
SearchData = InputBox("Enter policy number here")
If SearchData <> vbNullString Then
On Error Resume Next
Sheets(SearchData).Activate
If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "Cannot Find The Specified Policy Number " & SearchData
On Error GoTo 0
End If
End Sub

This code works when i know the exact name of the sheet i am looking for. However, i do not always know the exact name as the additional numbers at the end of the name vary, and can sometimes be in a different format. Also, there may be more than one sheet for each policy, with a different code at the end. Ideally, i'd search for a policy number and would then be able to choose from a list of sheets for that number.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ross :)

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
My suggestion is make an index sheet let say the first sheet then make some code to enter all the names of sheets then make a combo box to choose from and what ever the value you choose it will activate..Want to try?

Upvote 0
Try this...
Code:
Sub EmptySheet()
For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
    Range("Z" & i).Value = Sheets(i).Name
Next
End Sub
This will show all the sheets name you have...make sure you run this in an emptysheet as your index sheet then make a data validation to A2 then select list pick up ranges of Col. Z
You will now have a drop down list then..
You can say A2 to activate sheet name correspondece to your choice..

Upvote 0
thanks again,

that code works well, i have created a dropdown list, thank you.

Now is there any way i can limit the values in the dropdown box to values only containing a specific word/number??

Thanks again,
Ross

Upvote 0
Limit? in what sense? for example? because that code only gives you the exact name of your sheets otherwise we have to modify something depends on what you want

Upvote 0
well i have a large number of sheets, an example of one of my names is ANNC030475 02-000, where the first part(ANNC030475) is the reference no. and the second part(01-000) is where for whatever reason they have more than one sheet, however, the second part isnt always in the same format as i get sent it from elsewhere, so i'd like to type in the first part, e.g. ANNC030475 and see all the sheets containing that part e.g. ANNC030475 02-000, ANNC030475 05-125, ANNC030475 03/124.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back