Search text with array formula and find minimum, if the text contains specified text

Durlov

Hello,

I'm still conducting my own search of trying to find the answer to this, but in the meantime thought I'd do a post to see if anyone has a ready answer. Difficulty in conducting the search is the multiple conditions. Basically, I need to search an array for a specific string and then find the minimum of another column if the specific string is in that column. To exemplify:

Search Column E2:E10 for the value in C1 (= "001"), if value exists in any field in Column E, find the minimum of the corresponding values in column G2:G10.

SO, Column E2:E10 can contain values such as E2 = "001", E3 = "001, 002", E4 = "000, 002, 003", E5 = "000, 002, 001"... G2 = 5, G3 = 3, G4 = 5, G5 = 2 etc. Now, I need to evaluate each string to see if it contains "001" and then find the minimum of the values for Column G, which in the above string would be G5 = 2.

So far, I have only come up with the formula:

Code:
=MIN(IF($E$2:$E$10=C$1,$G$2:$G$10))

However, the above only looks to see if the whole cells in E2:E10 are equal to "001", i.e. in the above example it is giving the answer, G2 = 5.

Your help is much appreciated

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Untested, but you can try this array formula:

Code:
=MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($C$1,$E$2:$E$10)),$G$2:$G$10))
confirmed with ctrl+shift+enter - not just enter.

Reactions: PQK
Upvote 0
Hey, awesome! I think that works, let me do a few test and then give a conclusive confirmation.

Upvote 0
[SOLVED] Search text with array formula and find minimum, if the text contains specified text [SOLVED]

[this is solved]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back