Setting complex permissions for linked workbooks

blondehunnybunny

Hello :)
I have a few questions, I'm hoping someone can help. I have two workbooks, one (the master workbook) contains a several databases, the other (general workbook) contains worksheets designed to look up information in and add information to the databases using macros. Data is copied between the master workbook and the general workbook using a combination of VBA functions and subroutines and lookups.

1) I would like to add security to these workbooks so that if an administrator opens the workbooks, all worksheets, macros and cells can be viewed and modified. But if a user opens the workbooks, the databases cannot be viewed or modified except by use of the macros inside the general workbook.

2) Is it possible to share the workbooks so that a few copies of the general workbook can be opened simultaneously? If one user adds an entry to one of the databases in the master, the other users must not overwrite this entry, i.e. all changes to the master workbook should be distributed to all users.

Thank you xxx

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi blondehunnybunny,

those are fairly complex questions ( well, at least the answers could be ). Can you tell me how important the security for these workbooks is? It's just that security isn't one of Excel's strong points. Another weak area for Excel is sharing of workbooks. I've been supporting a system that uses sharing, and we've had numerous crashes during the last year.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevejhonsy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back