Show columns based on cell value

elmacay

Board Regular
Hi,

I have 50 columns with cell headings containing 20 different departments. I want to show only the columns based on a cell containing the department name (data validation). Any ideas on how to do this?

Cheers, Elmacay

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Peter,

This macro works perfectly and is fantastic! I am new to macros and do have a question about modifying your macro. I have the need to be able to select multiple columns based on different values. IE: column headers equal to 12,17, 37 and 142. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Randy

Upvote 0
Peter,

This macro works perfectly and is fantastic! I am new to macros and do have a question about modifying your macro. I have the need to be able to select multiple columns based on different values. IE: column headers equal to 12,17, 37 and 142. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Randy
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

I don't understand "need to be able to select multiple columns based on different values. IE: column headers equal to 12,17, 37 and 142.".
Can you spell out in more detail what you have and what you are trying to do?

Upvote 0
Sure Peter. What I mean is that I need a way to input multiple values in say cell B1 or multiple cells and then have the corresponding columns visible with all others hidden. Hope that makes more sense.

Rany

Upvote 0
Sure Peter. What I mean is that I need a way to input multiple values in say cell B1 or multiple cells and then have the corresponding columns visible with all others hidden. Hope that makes more sense.

Rany
So are "12,17 etc" column numbers (that is columns L, Q, etc) or are they headings (in row 1)?

Upvote 0
They are headings in row 1. I apologize for this being unclear. I should have used text instead of numbers for my column headings.

Upvote 0
OK, well I'm using text headers to demo. Try this in a copy of your workbook.

You mentioned putting your list possibly in cell B1. Instead of that, I'm suggesting making the list of the headers you want visible in column B, starting in row 2, with each header in a separate cell.
So, I'm imagining the sheet to look something like this to start with.

Excel Workbook
BCDEFGHIJKL
1Visible HeadersHeader 1Header 2Header 3Header 4Header 5Header 6Header 7Header 8Header 9
2datadatadatadatadatadatadatadatadata
3datadatadatadatadatadatadatadatadata
4datadatadatadatadatadatadatadatadata
5datadatadatadatadatadatadatadatadata
6datadatadatadatadatadatadatadatadata
Show or Hide Columns

Then use this Worksheet_Change code
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim Headers As Range, cel As Range, VisibleList As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("B")) Is Nothing Then
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set Headers = Range("C1:K1")
    Set VisibleList = Range("B1", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If VisibleList.Cells.Count = 1 Then
      Headers.EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    Else
      For Each cel In Headers
        cel.EntireColumn.Hidden = IsError(Application.Match(cel.Value, VisibleList, False))
      Next cel
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End If
  End If
End Sub

So, after entering some values in column B, the sheet might then look like this.

Excel Workbook
BDEGIKL
1Visible HeadersHeader 2Header 3Header 5Header 7Header 9
2Header 7datadatadatadatadata
3Header 5datadatadatadatadata
4datadatadatadatadata
5Header 2datadatadatadatadata
6Header 9datadatadatadatadata
7Header 3
Show or Hide Columns

I have made the assumption that you would never want all columns hidden so the code will show all columns if all the headers are in column B or if there are no headers at all listed below B1. If that is not what you want, post back with more details.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Peter,

This works perfectly! The only thing I have left to figure out is how to make the column headers a selectable list. My current spreadsheet has 275 columns making it difficult to know what is available to filter on. We could easily want to see dozens of columns at the same time. If there is no easy way to do this then we will work with it the way it is. I am quite impressed at what you have done already so thanks for all of your help!

Randy

Upvote 0
The only thing I have left to figure out is how to make the column headers a selectable list.
Try this:

1. Remove all values from B2 down, so that all columns are visible.

2. Select all headers (for my sample that is C1:K1) and give that range the name 'Headers'

3. Select column B and apply data Validation of Allow: List and Source: =Headers

Having done that you could change the previous code slightly to make use of the named range.

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim cel As Range, VisibleList As Range

If Not Intersect(Target, Columns("B")) Is Nothing Then
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set VisibleList = Range("B1", Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    If VisibleList.Cells.Count = 1 Then
      Range("Headers").EntireColumn.Hidden = False
    Else
      For Each cel In Range("Headers")
        cel.EntireColumn.Hidden = IsError(Application.Match(cel.Value, VisibleList, False))
      Next cel
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End If
  End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello Peter,

Thank you for this macro. This works amazingly fine, however I am trying to move this to next step. what I mean is that I have a sheet with headers like jan2015, Feb 2015....Jan 2016,feb 2016... 2017 . is there a way that I can create two drop down list and then all columns that match either of the headers are visible and rest all hidden. so lest say that I want to compare all 2015 actual with all 2016 actual so I can select "2015 actual" on one drop down and "2016 actual" on other drop down so all these columns will show and I can compare.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelMA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back