Single page worksheet won't fit on page when opened on a different computer

HollowMan19xx

I've got a worksheet that our field technicians use on tablets and then send to clients. We've used Panasonic Toughpads (Win8.1) and others with no problems. The sheets look the same (and fit on a printed pdf page) on my desktop Win7 as they do on the tablets.

Just picked up a Surface Pro2 with Win 8.1. Lo and behold, the worksheet no longer fits on one page. It's the same workbook opened from the cloud. Just in case, I've checked to make sure margins and row height didn't change. They are set at normal and 0.40cm (16 px) respectively... no change.

Screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhwt1bd857x42ej/Desktop (fits 1 page).png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l2kb3u5pj0oiyc/Tablet (spans 2 pages).png

With lots of applications cross populating between desktops and different tablets, I'm hoping there is a workaround for this?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
what is the default printer size for the pages, and what is set up on the machines

Upvote 0
Default page size is Letter (21.59cm x 27.94cm). As far as printers set up on the machines, it depends on whether its a desktop connected to our network or a tablet. If it's on the network, it's all the physical printers plus the standard MS defaults. If it's a tablet, it's whatever comes stock, which according to my Surface Pro 2 is:

1. Brother MFC-8510DN
2. Fax
3. Konica Minolta bizhub C20P
4. Microsoft XPS Document Writer
5. Send to OneNote 2013

I'm guessing #1 and #3 were automatically added when I connected to the office's wireless network.

I tried "Fax" and "XPS" print preview on my desktop and the Surface Pro 2, and it didn't change anything. Still bumps to 2 pages on the tablet.

Strange thing is that our Panasonic Toughpad in the field, and the Motion Computing tablet we demo'd both worked fine right out of the gate.

Upvote 0
I think most default to Letter, yet in the UK we use A4, I would guess the one displaying badly is defaulting to A4

Upvote 0
Regarding that, I checked the print settings and it says "Letter", so I switched to A4 just to see what would happen. It fit vertically but split across 2 pages horizontally.

Here's what the Print Preview screen looks like with Letter selected. Note at the bottom it says page 1 of 2...
(On every other computer, with the identical file, it is 1 of 1)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4e9ekbyckgswdu/PrintPreview(1 of 2 NOT good).png

Perhaps more concisely, why do I get 63 lines at 16px row height on every computer but my Surface Pro 2, which only gets 60 lines?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
maybe the default is using a deeper header / footer

Upvote 0
To check that, amongst other things, I made a hard copy print on the Konica Minolta colour printer.

Holding them up to the light, the headers both start at exactly the same point. But the interesting thing is that the row heights, when printed, are clearly different. I counted out 60 rows on each and measured the pitch:

Desktop computer (and presumably all the other tablets that work fine): 3.817mm / row
New Surface Pro 2: 3.983mm / row

Now, the interesting thing is that when the units are switched to mm for both systems, the row heights on the same file when opened on the different systems are:

Desktop: 3.97mm
Pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07fsd5lun3jlxbm/Desktop(Row Height).png
Note: See the page divider at row 63

Surface Pro 2: 3.81mm
Pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzyz7v8kqf4l146/SurfacePro(Row Height).png
Note: See the page divider at row 60

This is exactly backwards to the calculated numbers!

Upvote 0
setting scale to fit maybe ?

can't think of what else can be done

Upvote 0
Scale to fit will work when I go to print it. But when the technician is using the form it will still show up in page view as spanning 2 pages.

Upvote 0
Strange, I opened the file on the tablet again, and the row height was 3.81mm.

Okay, but then I highlighted all the rows, retyped 3.81mm, and presto! Now everything fits!

But that would mean every time I opened the workbook on that particular system, for no reason whatsoever, I'd have to manually (or macro) reset the cell dimensions.

I guess that's what Private Sub Workbook_Open() is for...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahGiles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back