Solve for 2nd Blank Match

theBloodyNine

I have a formula that works to solve and find my first MATCH. It is as follows:

=INDEX(E31:E80,MATCH(TRUE,G31:G80="",0))

If it helps to understand, the data is for an auction. The formula looks into column G31:G80 to see what item(s) have not been sold yet. The items price is put into the cell after purchase. These items will not be sold in order. So Item 5 might be the 1st item sold. Therefore Item 1 in Cell G31 would still be the right answer.

It then returns a persons name (TEXT) from column E31:E80. The names in column E31:E80 are listed in order of value, but there is no value associated with them. The name is the answer I need. That being said I do have a ranking Column D that Ranks them from 1-50 next to each name if that helps.

However once items are sold, what I cannot solve and would be grateful for help with, is 3 things:

1) In another Cell: I need a formula to find the 2nd "" Blank where the items is not yet sold and there is no price entered. The list cannot be reordered after something is entered.

Column D Column E Column G
1 Dave Smith $25
2 Mike Davis
3 Bob Jones $45
4 Kramer Mann Solve For the name that matches the 2nd Blank
5 Stacey Howl $17
6 Dana Hecht $29
7 Mark White Solve For the name that matches the 3rd Blank

2) In another Cell: I need a formula to find the 3rd "" Blank where the items is not yet sold and there is no price entered.

3.) In another Cell: I need to find the difference in the ranking between the blanks. For example: Mark White is 5 positions lower than Mike Davis. i.e. the drop off in quality.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
1 and 2. Try replacing your existing formula for the first match with this one, then drag it down for the second, third, etc.

=IFERROR(INDEX(E:E,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($G$31:$G$80)/($G$31:$G$80=""),ROWS(B$2:B2))),"")

3. Try a formula on the basis of =MATCH("Mark White",D:D,0)-MATCH("Mike Davis",D:D,0)

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I'm a little unsure as to your requirements, but see if this is close:

Book1
DEFGHIJ
30NameSale Price
31Dave Smith$25  
32Mike Davis
33Bob Jones45
34Kramer MannMike Davis2
35Stacey Howl17
36Dana Hecht29
37Mark WhiteKramer Mann3
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I31=IF(G31>0,"",IFERROR(INDEX(D:D,AGGREGATE(14,6,ROW($G$30:$G30)/($G$30:$G30=""),1)),""))
J31=IFERROR(ROW()-MATCH(I31,$D$30:$D30,0)-ROW($D$30)+1,"")

It's along the same lines as Jason proposed.

Upvote 0
Another answer in the same flavor. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the "Dropoff" requirement so I'm listing relative row numbers then their difference in J and K to make it easier to follow.

Copy the formula down 2 rows to replace your INDEX and get the next 2 empty Price rows, or copy it down 20 to get the 1st through 20th.

DEFGHIJK
30No.NamePriceNot Sold1Dropoff
311Dave Smith$25Mike Davis21
322Mike DavisKramer Mann42
333Bob Jones$45Mark White73
344Kramer Mann
355Stacey Howl$17
366Dana Hecht$29
377Mark White

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
I31=INDEX($E:$E,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($E$31:$E$80)/($G$31:$G$80=""),ROWS($I$30:$I30)))&""
J31=(INDEX($D:$D,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($E$31:$E$80)/($G$31:$G$80=""),ROWS($I$30:$I30)))&"")
K31=IF(J31<>"",J31-J30,"")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you all for the help. I apologize as I am not that experienced with Excel. However that is why am here to learn. I was not quite able to make those formulas work for me. I just got zero as an answer.

I am pasting a better explanation below. This is the real world problem, and yes I work in the Fantasy Football business.

I need to list the Best Remaining QB, the 2nd Best QB and the 3rd best QB that have not yet been drafted in a real time Auction Draft. So as some is selected, the "Actual Sale ($$$) price is entered. I need it to show up as listed below:

Best Remaining QBOverall
Rank
2nd Best Remaining QBOverall
Rank
3rd Best Remaining QBOverall
Rank
Deshaun Watson2 NEED TO SOLVE ??NEED TO SOLVE ??
The Above Answer is CorrectThis Answer Should be:This Answer Should be:
Rank
Rank
Deshaun Watson2Jared Goff 8
RankPlayer Name (QB)Actual Sale ($$$)
1 Patrick Mahomes $ 35
2 Deshaun Watson
3 Aaron Rodgers $ 25
4 Matt Ryan
5 Carson Wentz $ 15
6 Baker Mayfield $ 35
7 Kirk Cousins $ 45
8 Jared Goff
9 Dak Prescott
10 Russell Wilson
11 Cam Newton

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Sorry: 2nd best should be Matt Ryan as listed below

Thank you all for the help. I apologize as I am not that experienced with Excel. However that is why am here to learn. I was not quite able to make those formulas work for me. I just got zero as an answer.

I am pasting a better explanation below. This is the real world problem, and yes I work in the Fantasy Football business.

I need to list the Best Remaining QB, the 2nd Best QB and the 3rd best QB that have not yet been drafted in a real time Auction Draft. So as some is selected, the "Actual Sale ($$$) price is entered. I need it to show up as listed below:
Best Remaining QBOverall
Rank
Rank
Rank
Deshaun Watson2NEED TO SOLVE ??NEED TO SOLVE ??
The Above Answer is CorrectThis Answer Should be:This Answer Should be:
Rank
Rank
Matt Ryan4Jared Goff8
1Patrick Mahomes$ 35
2Deshaun Watson
3Aaron Rodgers$ 25
4Matt Ryan
5Carson Wentz$ 15
6Baker Mayfield$ 35
7Kirk Cousins$ 45
8Jared Goff
9Dak Prescott
10Russell Wilson
11Cam Newton

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
As you've seen, a good example makes it much easier to find a solution. See if this works for you:

Book1
BCDEFGHIJ
26Best Remaining QBOverall Rank2nd Best Remaining QBOverall Rank3rd Best Remaining QBOverall Rank
27Deshaun Watson2Matt Ryan4Jared Goff8
30RankPlayer Name (QB)Actual Sale ($$$)
311Patrick Mahomes$35
322Deshaun Watson
333Aaron Rodgers$25
344Matt Ryan
355Carson Wentz$15
366Baker Mayfield$35
377Kirk Cousins$45
388Jared Goff
399Dak Prescott
4010Russell Wilson
4111Cam Newton
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C27=INDEX($B:$D,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($E$31:$E$41)/($E$31:$E$41=""),INT((COLUMNS($C:C)+2)/3)),3-MOD(COLUMNS($C:C)-1,3))&""

I was faced with creating either 2 formulas, or one slightly more complicated formula. I went with the single formula. In the layout above, enter the formula in C27. Then copy it and paste it to D27:J27. (Or drag the cell left, whatever is easiest for you.) Also note that this formula requires B31:B41 to be empty. Let us know if this is closer to what you want.

Upvote 0
With the table below copied to A1:H16 of a blank sheet, try this formula in A3
=IFERROR(INDEX($B:$B,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($C$6:$C$16)/($C$6:$C$16=""),1)),"")
changing 1 to 2 for the 2nd place match, 3 for the 3rd and so on.
and this one in B3
=MATCH(A3,$B$6:$B$16,0)
Best Remaining QBOverall2nd Best Remaining QBOverall3rd Best Remaining QBOverall
RankRankRank
Deshaun Watson2Matt Ryan4Jared Goff8
1Patrick Mahomes$ 35
2Deshaun Watson
3Aaron Rodgers$ 25
4Matt Ryan
5Carson Wentz$ 15
6Baker Mayfield$ 35
7Kirk Cousins$ 45
8Jared Goff
9Dak Prescott
10Russell Wilson
11Cam Newton

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thank you all! The above thread by Jasonb75 is the one that did the trick for future users. Eric W formula did work also, however, when you update and add more prices to the list. Eric's formula did not change the names. This may absolutely be my fault, and not the formulas.

The formula Jasonb75 provided did allow for dynamic changes as you added more values (i.e. Matt Ryan for $25)

Thank you all!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soumyahalder4

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back