Spoonfeeding

Spoon feed posters?

• Don't really care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As a beginner bordering on low-intermediate (in my good moments) I confess to utter sympathy with experienced users whose investment in their expertise often does and should earn them a few shillings...that's why they're in the business.

Frankly, I'm amazed -and grateful- for the real value of the help I have received. I would like some way to pay back. One way I ATTEMPT to do this is to scan for questions to which I think I know the (or "an") answer, posted by those who are even more helpless than me. Assuming that I actually get it right sometimes, perhaps that helps reduce the load on the real experts. On the other hand, when I get it wrong -or not as right as it could be- it may aggravate the situation; so I try to be selective.

That said, the moment some kind of payment enters the picture, there will likely be a higher expectancy on the part of the buyer; the relationship changes.

It occurs to me that most all of us are pretty good at SOMEthing. I'm weak in Excel, but **** good in other areas and could possibly be able to assist, with, say, insurance matters. Or graphic design. Or gardening -or, whatever. What if there were a section of this site, or maybe our profiles, where we posted our strengths and, if willing, offered to opine and advise should anyone on the board pose a question in our areas of expertise? It would do my heart good to tell Jonmo, for example, how to arrange his insurance coverage or whip up a first class home-made pizza.

Meanwhile, if this is a "help" site, then that is what it is. No one is forced to ask or answer. And the motives of the askers will vary whether they pay or not; some want to learn and understand, others just want to get it done. INHO.

-S

Over the past few months I have had to deal with many occassions where the implicit agreement based on trust between myself "the customer" and various "service" providers has been totally disregarded on their part.

One of the few examples where this is not the case is the help I have received from the people who have freely given their time to respond to my questions on this board.

I am always appreciative of this help and guidance, especially as I am sure many have used up time that they would otherwise spend generating an income and\or enjoying themselves.
As a result I have not only been able to increase my knowledge but I am also encouraged to share what I know with others. This "ripple" effect covers many areas not just IT related stuff.

My request is that if someone is pointing me in the right direction as opposed to providing a full answer\solution then would they please let me know so that I can act accordingly. Unfortunately my experience and knowledge is not always sufficient to appreciate what is happening.

Once again - thank you.
Bernard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelMA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back