Strings being greater than numbers (dates)

doug firr

Board Regular
I posted a question on here about an hour ago and was informed that a string always equates higher than a number in excel.

I tried it out. Cancel date is a range where, if a person has cancelled the date is present, else a "-" exists. So to count the number of people who have not cancelled on a specific date, here's a formula I just tried:

=COUNTIFS(HasPaymentInfo,"Yes",CancelDate,">"&Summary!H10) //so include everyone that has payment info="Yes" and where cancel date is either "-" or greater than the date in H10

I used this to replace the existing formula:

=COUNTIFS(HasPaymentInfo,"Yes",CancelDate,"-")-COUNTIFS(CancelDate,">"&Summary!H10) // Should do the same thing but the "new" way I learned above today requires less writing

I'd expected to see the same results. Not so. The original formula produces a count of many thousands while the new formula produces a count less than a hundred.

Just to add, 2 mins after posting I discovered this:

=SUMPRODUCT((HasPaymentInfo="Yes")*(CancelDate>Summary!H10)) // Should also produce the same but produces another number all together! It's closer to the number in the original formula but out by a hundred or so. Still, they should exact match.

Why?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
what do you want to know when you say " count the number of people who have not cancelled on a specific date" - I'll use 14/2/14 as date to illustrate do you mean

- people who have cancelled but the cancellation was after 14/2/14

- people who have cancelled but the cancellation was on any date other than 14/2/14 (ie include cancellations before and after 14/2 but not on 14/2)

- one of the 2 above definitions + those who havent cancelled at all

Upvote 0
@livinhope anyone who has either not cancelled (cell contains "-") or have cancelled at a future date (Cell contains the cancellation date). So if the date in question for analysis is 14/2/14 then include all rows where CancelDate equals either "-" OR a date greater than 14/2/14, along with the additional condition hasPaymentInfo="Yes".

Upvote 0
OK . looking at your 3 formulas (2 countifs ,1 sumproduct) there are 2 issues ;

First issue - assuming the cancel date dashes an actual dash not just a blank/empty cell formatted to look like a dash the countif > some other date does NOT pick up the cells with dashes . screen dump at the bottom illustrates this the first countif counts only dates > 14/2 the 2nd one correct answer countis dates > 14/2 and dashes separately . screen shot also gives the formula you need to fix

Second issue - your first and last formulas should give the same result but the middle one has a very different logic

formula # 1 =COUNTIFS(HasPaymentInfo,"Yes",CancelDate,">"&Summary!H10) ; shows those where payment info="Yes" and where cancel date greater than 14/2

formula # 2 =COUNTIFS(HasPaymentInfo,"Yes",CancelDate,"-")-COUNTIFS(CancelDate,">"&Summary!H10) ; counts records where payment info "yes" & no cancel date . then subtract recs where cancel date > 14/2 with or without payment info
formula 3 =SUMPRODUCT((HasPaymentInfo="Yes")*(CancelDate>Summary!H10)) ; agree this should be same result as formula one

name</SPAN>cancel date</SPAN>payinfo</SPAN>14/02/2014</SPAN>3</SPAN>=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$10,">"&$D$1,$C$2:$C$10,"yes")</SPAN>
al</SPAN>-</SPAN>yes</SPAN>6</SPAN>=COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$10,">"&$D$1,$C$2:$C$10,"yes") + COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$10,"-",$C$2:$C$10,"yes")</SPAN>
beth</SPAN>11/02/2014</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
cath</SPAN>12/02/2014</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
dan</SPAN>-</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
elly</SPAN>14/02/2014</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
frank</SPAN>15/02/2014</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
gail</SPAN>16/02/2014</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
harry</SPAN>-</SPAN>yes</SPAN>
inga</SPAN>17/02/2014</SPAN>yes</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

Upvote 0
OK, but I thought that a text character always evaluates as higher than a number? Is the exception just with countifs?

Upvote 0
I posted a question on here about an hour ago and was informed that a string always equates higher than a number in excel.
The word Always is not correct here..
We should 'always' be careful when using the word 'always' lol..

It's more accurate to say
In the context of a straight greaterthan/lessthan comparison, Text is greater than numbers.
=A1>B1 = TRUE when A1 is text and B1 is any number.

However, this is not true with countif (and probably all 'functions')
It does not consider text > number

Only the straight comparison with the > < symbols directly (not in a function)

Upvote 0
- isn't an alphanumeric character.

Upvote 0
There's nothing in there about 'Greater Than' "-"
The formulas in that post use 'Equal to' "-"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back