SUM not working in certain cells only

gers1978

Board Regular
Ok, I have a table with 10 rows. Each row is pulled through from the bottom row of another workbook. I have 10 such workbooks, and this table pulls through the bottom row from each to make a sort of "summary" table.

It used INDEX MATCH to get the data, and pulls it through just fine. In all 11 workbooks (10 + summary) the tables are in A4:Z11.

I have a totals row in my summary table, and I noticed that in column R, the total is 0. All other column's total row is correct.

R4:R9 are indeed 0, which is correct, but R10 is pulling through £12,531 and R11 £112,137, again both correct. So surely the total row for R should be £124,668?

Now what's weird is when I select R10 and R11, the little SUM you get at the bottom status bar of Excel says 0. The COUNT is correct, saying 2, but SUM says 0. If I copy and paste values on R10 and R11, that little SUM in status bar still says 0.

However if I manually type 12531 and 112137 into R10 and R11, the SUM at the bottom (and the totals row of the table) add up correctly.

What's even weirder is if I select Q10 and Q11 or P10 and P11 (which all have non zero numbers in), the SUM at the bottom status still says 0 (again, the COUNT is correct) but in these columns the totals row is adding just fine anyway!

The formula for every cell in my summary table is:

Code:
=INDEX(path\[Workbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$4:$Z$11,MATCH($A5,'path\[Workbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$4:$A$11,0),MATCH(R$4,path\[Workbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$4:$Z$4,0))

(obviously the lookup reference changes in each cell)

Also posted here: http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199601&p=769955#post769955

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Now what's weird is when I select R10 and R11, the little SUM you get at the bottom status bar of Excel says 0. The COUNT is correct, saying 2, but SUM says 0. If I copy and paste values on R10 and R11, that little SUM in status bar still says 0.

would indicate that these are being treated as text, either a leading space or some other issue, hence they don't add

Upvote 0

would indicate that these are being treated as text, either a leading space or some other issue, hence they don't add

Hmm, on the source sheet and the summary sheet they're both set to Currency but you may be onto something

Upvote 0
that's a certainty, couple of methods for dealing with it, remove space, format as number, you can use a double minus in B1 for instance =--A1 which forces it, or multiply by 1 just can't remember how to apply it to your formula
Code:
=INDEX(path\[Workbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$4:$Z$11,MATCH($A5,'path\[Workbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$4:$A$11,0),MATCH(R$4,path\[Workbook.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$4:$Z$4,0))
to make that happen for you

Upvote 0
that's a certainty, couple of methods for dealing with it, remove space, format as number, you can use a double minus in B1 for instance =--A1 which forces it, or multiply by 1 just can't remember how to apply it to your formula
Code:
to make that happen for you

I've stuck a *1 at the end, and low and behold it works!

What's weird is I checked the source sheet and for the totals row that I'm pulling through, each cell has:

Code:
=SUMIF(TableName[[#Headers],[#Data],[Column1]:[Column1]],"<>*Summary",TableName[[#Headers],[#Data],[Column2]])

and this all works fine.

For the columns from my original post that are causing problems, someone has overwrote the formula above in the source sheet with an actual, typed-in value. I don't know this would cause the issue, as all cells are formatted as Currency anyway...

Upvote 0
Do you see the currency symbol in the formula bar when looking at one of the cells that was manually typed in? If so, the entry will be text, not a number.

Upvote 0
Do you see the currency symbol in the formula bar when looking at one of the cells that was manually typed in? If so, the entry will be text, not a number.

Yep, currency symbol is there. Also if I right-click the cell and choose "Format Cells", it's set as Currency

Upvote 0
Yes, but if you set it to another format, the display won't change because it's text. A number entered into a currency formatted cell will not show the currency symbol in the formula bar, only in the cell.

Upvote 0
Yes, but if you set it to another format, the display won't change because it's text. A number entered into a currency formatted cell will not show the currency symbol in the formula bar, only in the cell.

Ok, I'm not sure what you're telling me here though.

Upvote 0
I'm saying that if you select a cell and see, for example, £1,213.45 in the formula bar, it's text and SUM will ignore it. If it displays as £1,213.45 in the cell but shows 1213.45 in the formula bar, then it's a real number and SUM will include it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back