SUM on Every Sheet that Totals a Cell in Every Sheet With Same First 3 Letters of Own Name

Aden Wessels

Hi all. Thank you for any help with this. New to the forum and stumped with this - not sure if it's best done with a SUM formula or with VBA instead.

I have a workbook with sheet (tab) names like so:

AAA00001, AAA00002, AAA0000A, BBB0000X, BBB00003, etc., etc.

On each of these sheets, I have a cell (let's say A1) that indicates the group which the sheet falls into. For example, all of the AAA sheets value at A1 would be 3 characters 'AAA'. All of the BBB sheets have value 'BBB' in A1 cell... and so on.

In cell B2 of each and every sheet is a dollar value.

I am wanting a formula (in say cell C3) that totals all the dollar values of every single sheet that exists (order is mixed up) which has the same first 3 characters (AAA, BBB or XXX, etc.). Noting that I can reference all tabs also using the A1 reference that exists on each of the sheets.

So, on any of the AAA, BBC (or whatever 3 letter prefix sheets) I can see a total of each group dollar value.

I hope I have been clear enough and I would greatly appreciate help.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Hey! I am not an expert at all - but a quick google search on your topic lead me to these two formulas using VLOOKUP:

1. Summing up quantities using VLOOKUP: https://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/08/05/excel-vlookup-sum-sumif/
2. Indexing entire xls workbook using VLOOKUP: https://www.xelplus.com/lookup-values-across-multiple-worksheets-excel/

It looks like the key is something about the INDIRECT function - substitute it for when excel asks you for an array. I'm super tired now - or else I'd test it out myself with you. Let me know if it works.

Cheers mate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back