ThirdParty security and protection

leonuk10

Hello everyone,

I've done some work and developed a spreadsheet using Excel and VBA, something I spent a lot of time on.

I'm not overly concerned but would like to know methods and what I can do to protect this work. I know I can protect workbook/worksheets but is this enough? When I deliver my work to an end-user, could they copy it and manipulate it, even if its password protected?

Is it possible that when I send an end-user my work that they cannot access it and use it until they've entered like a password or key? A lot of software has like a 7-day trial after which they must produce a key to keep using it. Can I implement this feature somehow on MS Excel?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcome to the Board!

The short answer is NO.

Unfortunately, Excel's not a secure application, nor has it ever been marketed as one. Yes, there are protection options you can take, but they can all be easily defeated. And any VBA protections you put in can be defeated just by disabling macros.

The short of it is that you can protect a distributable workbook, and it should be good enough to keep the majority of the populatoin honest, but if someone really wants to break it they can.

One option is to use an Excel Compiler (Google search), which can create a functional .exe of your workbook, or create an Add-In.

HTH,

Upvote 0
I thought as much, and Excel Compiler is something new to me which I must explore.

Another method I guess is to deliberately over complicate your code so even the most savvy person would get confused. But that would give me a headache, too, if ever I need to service it!

Thanks for your response, will defo look into the complier.

Upvote 0
Another method I guess is to deliberately over complicate your code so even the most savvy person would get confused. But that would give me a headache, too, if ever I need to service it!

I can't say that purposely obfuscating your code is good practice, but a lot of people do it. I wouldn't, but it's a personal choice. If you do decide to do it, I'd keep a very well commented version of your code, so that if you do need to go back and revisit it you don't have to figure out what the hell you were trying to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxim_sivakon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back