Total Length of extracted names

LauraForiero

What function should I use to find the total length of the 3 extracted names (last + first & middle title?) I need one single expression for the entire column. Thank in advance
ABCDE
Full Name (Last, First & Middle plusTitle - the latter may be separated by either an ! or $ symbol).Title (extracted)First and the middle name if the latter exists. (extracted)Last Name (extracted)The total length of the 3 extracted names (last + first & middle + title) e.g. 25
6Brouillet,Amy Anne!MissMissAmy AnneBrouillet
7Dupuis,Jean Paul$MonsieurMonsieurJean PaulDupuis
8Ethier,Guy!MrMrGuyEthier
9Fu,Guo Qing$PrincePrinceGuo QingFu
10Gowan,Louise Marie$MademoiselleMademoiselleLouise MarieGowan
11McGill,James Patrick!DrDrJames PatrickMcGill
12Robinson,Jacques$MonsieurMonsieurJacquesRobinson
13Vinet,Jean Pierre!MrMrJean PierreVinet
14Voigt,Claire Antoinette$MadameMadameClaire AntoinetteVoigt
15Wong,Jia$ReverendReverendJiaWong

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup>

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Do want just straight length or formatted with spaces?

Straight length is just =LEN(B6) + LEN(C6) + LEN(D6)

Upvote 0
This formula doesn't work, it always gives me an extra letter. For example Miss Amy Anne Brouillet is 20, the formula gives me 21, and so on
Do want just straight length or formatted with spaces?

Straight length is just =LEN(B6) + LEN(C6) + LEN(D6)

Upvote 0
The issue is that the extracted values aren't trimmed. The formula above will work or use:

=LEN(TRIM(B6) + LEN(TRIM(C6) + LEN(TRIM(D6)

Upvote 0
Another one..

Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim i As Long
With Cells(1).CurrentRegion
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
.Cells(i, 5).Value = Len(Replace(Join(Array(Cells(i, 2), Cells(i, 3), Cells(i, 4))), " ", ""))
Next i
End With
End Sub

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:234px;" /><col style="width:97px;" /><col style="width:115px;" /><col style="width:65px;" /><col style="width:21px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >A</td><td >B</td><td >C</td><td >D</td><td >E</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td >Brouillet,Amy Anne!Miss</td><td >Miss</td><td >Amy Anne</td><td >Brouillet</td><td style="text-align:right; ">20</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >2</td><td >Dupuis,Jean Paul$Monsieur</td><td >Monsieur</td><td >Jean Paul</td><td >Dupuis</td><td style="text-align:right; ">22</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >3</td><td >Ethier,Guy!Mr</td><td >Mr</td><td >Guy</td><td >Ethier</td><td style="text-align:right; ">11</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >Fu,Guo Qing$Prince</td><td >Prince</td><td >Guo Qing</td><td >Fu</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >Gowan,Louise Marie$Mademoiselle</td><td >Mademoiselle</td><td >Louise Marie</td><td >Gowan</td><td style="text-align:right; ">28</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >McGill,James Patrick!Dr</td><td >Dr</td><td >James Patrick</td><td >McGill</td><td style="text-align:right; ">20</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td >Robinson,Jacques$Monsieur</td><td >Monsieur</td><td >Jacques</td><td >Robinson</td><td style="text-align:right; ">23</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >8</td><td >Vinet,Jean Pierre!Mr</td><td >Mr</td><td >Jean Pierre</td><td >Vinet</td><td style="text-align:right; ">17</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >9</td><td >Voigt,Claire Antoinette$Madame</td><td >Madame</td><td >Claire Antoinette</td><td >Voigt</td><td style="text-align:right; ">27</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >10</td><td >Wong,Jia$Reverend</td><td >Reverend</td><td >Jia</td><td >Wong</td><td style="text-align:right; ">15</td></tr></table> <br />Excel tables to the web - Excel Jeanie Html 4

Upvote 0
Not to over complicate things, but the answer all depends on whether the OP wants the length of DrJamesPatrickMcGill or DrJames PatrickMcGill or Dr. James Patrick McGill. Everyone is giving her the first (as in no spaces). I was taking her to mean she wanted the extracted middle "James Patrick" to include the space.

In any case, it seems like she found what she wanted so thread = solved.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back