Unable to Re-connect Slicers after Disconection and Data Refresh (VBA, Excel 2010)

shaclark

Greetings, <br>
I cannot thank you all enough for the many times your collective wisdom have provided me with critical knowledge in time of need. I am a professional with some programming background, not a programming professional by any means. I therefore apologize if my question is idiotic (and I'm the only one here who doesn't realize it). <br>
I am working on a spreadsheet template for a data dashboard. Weekly data comes in--no more than 30000 rows and 15 columns--the pivot tables need to be refreshed, the value fields updated (each week, columns are added to the raw data, so "Sum of 2/22/14" has to become "Sum of 2/29/14," etc.). <br>
To summarize multiple slices of data simultaneously, I have used three slicers which I successfully--thanks to all of you--connected to twelve (not a typo) tiny pivot tables. <br>
I used the "create one pivot table, add the slicers, then use <em>Slicer Connections</em> from the ribbon, check the boxes to connect the slicers so all the pivots change together" method. It worked beautifully. <br>
I then discovered that, to change the source data and refresh, I must first disconnect the shared slicers. I found this piece of code (here, I believe) which works:
<br>
Code:
<br>
For y = 1 To 7<br>
With ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches(y).PivotTables<br>
    For x = .Count To 1 Step -1<br>
        .RemovePivotTable (x)<br>
    Next x<br>
End With<br>
Next y<br>
<br>

(FYI, there is a pivot chart (with assoc. table) in this workbook on different worksheets, which I have to maintain. It pulls from the same data; I update it when I update my new stuff... that's why I said 3 slicers, but code refers to 7. In the event, my slicers are attached to SlicerCaches 5 through 7).<br>
I was able to reconnect slicers 1 through 4 (which control the pivot chart) to their one PT with no trouble, using this method:
<br>
Code:
<br>
For d = 1 To 4<br>
    With ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches(d)<br>
        For Each slcer In .Slicers<br>
            slcer.SlicerCache.PivotTables.AddPivotTable (Sheets("PivotTable").PivotTables("PivotTable3"))<br>
        Next<br>
    End With<br>
Next d<br>
<br>
I am completely at a loss, however, regarding why I cannot reconnect my three slicers, via VBA or manually. <br>
When I try to manually re-connect, just as proof of concept, the Slicer Connections dialog is now blank. It isn't disabled, as when you try to connect a pivot table with a different cache. It's just blank. I even tried deleting my original 3 slicers, selecting one of my 12 pivots, adding the slicers and then trying to manually connect: failure. The dialog is still blank. <br>
In VBA, I have tried a number of methods, at last pure desperation:
<br>
Code:
<br>
For d = 1 To 4<br>
    With ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches(d)<br>
        For Each slcer In .Slicers<br>
            slcer.SlicerCache.PivotTables.AddPivotTable (Sheets("Dashboard").PivotTables("PivotTable1"))<br>
            slcer.SlicerCache.PivotTables.AddPivotTable (Sheets("Dashboard").PivotTables("PivotTable2"))<br>
            slcer.SlicerCache.PivotTables.AddPivotTable (Sheets("Dashboard").PivotTables("PivotTable3"))  'ETC.<br>
        Next<br>
    End With<br>
Next d<br>
<br>
I have previously tried FOR EACH, WITH, and a simple FOR NEXT prior to the stupid "name each explicitly" approach here. Nothing works. <br>
The slicers connect only to the one pivot table from which they are originally created. When VBA tries to reconnect the slicers to the second pivot table, I get this error:<br>
<strong>Run-time error '1004':<br>
Application-defined or object-defined error</strong><br>
I take this to be the VBA equivalent of the Excel Slicer Connections dialog being blank. <br>
I have searched MSDN, here, and several other forums, but have not been smart enough to figure out what I've done wrong. Perhaps I don't recognize code that will solve the problem when I see it. <br>
Question: Did I disconnect the slicers incorrectly, such that I now can't re-connect them? If so, can anyone share the right way to do it?<br>
Question: If I disconnected correctly, what am I missing that is preventing even a manual re-connection?<br>
Here are the exact steps of my code, in case this will help you help me:<br>
<ol class="decimal"><li>Detect the lower-right corner of the imported dataset.</li>
<li>Disconnect the slicers in the workbook.</li>
<li>Detect the two active value fields and disable (xlHidden) them.</li>
<li>Redefine the Pivot Tables' data source (PT.ChangePivotCache ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches.Create) using the values from step 1.</li>
<li>Detect the names of the two value fields to use for the new data and enable them (AddDataField).</li>
<li>Reconnect the pivot chart's four slicers.</li>
<li>Reconnect my three slicers to my multiple pivot tables.</li>
<li>Refresh all pivot tables in the workbook. </li>
</ol><br>
Everything above works, except for step 7. <br>
Thank you all, very sincerely, in advance for your time and expertise. <br>
Scott<br>

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I can't thank Tracy at MrExcel.com enough for her expert assistance. In the event, I was being an idiot and was trying to attach slicers created from one PivotCache to PivotTables associated with another. Not. Going. To. Work.

She very correctly suggested that I use something like (this is my code, not hers... trust me, hers was much cleaner!):
Code:
PivotName = "dbPivotTable" & Right(Str(twoPivots), 2)
            TableLocation = "DASHBOARD!R" & Right(Str(pivotRow), 2) & "C" & Right(Str(pivotColumn), 2)
            ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets("PivotTable").PivotTables("PivotTable3").PivotCache. _
                    CreatePivotTable TableDestination:=TableLocation, TableName:= _
                    PivotName, DefaultVersion:=xlPivotTableVersion12
to create my subordinate pivot tables from the main table so they're all using the same pivotcache. It was then very easy to use
Code:
        Set scp = ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches.Add(Source:=Worksheets("Dashboard").PivotTables("dbPivotTable18"), sourcefield:="Division")
        Set slp = scp.Slicers.Add(ActiveSheet, Name:="slicer_db_Division", Caption:="Division", Top:=ActiveSheet.Range("E2").Top, _
            Left:=ActiveSheet.Range("E2").Left + 5, Width:=ActiveSheet.Range("E2:G2").Width, Height:=ActiveSheet.Range("E2:E14").Height)

Set scp = ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches.Add(Source:=Worksheets("Dashboard").PivotTables("dbPivotTable18"), sourcefield:="WFUGrouping")
        Set slp = scp.Slicers.Add(ActiveSheet, Name:="slicer_db_WFUGrouping", Caption:="WFU Group", Top:=ActiveSheet.Range("H2").Top, _
            Left:=ActiveSheet.Range("H2").Left + 20, Width:=ActiveSheet.Range("H2:L2").Width, Height:=ActiveSheet.Range("H2:H14").Height)

Set scp = ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches.Add(Source:=Worksheets("Dashboard").PivotTables("dbPivotTable18"), sourcefield:="Org Unit")
        Set slp = scp.Slicers.Add(ActiveSheet, Name:="slicer_db_OrgUnit", Caption:="Org Unit", Top:=ActiveSheet.Range("M2").Top, _
            Left:=ActiveSheet.Range("M2").Left + 38, Width:=ActiveSheet.Range("M2:O2").Width, Height:=ActiveSheet.Range("M2:M14").Height)

ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches("Slicer_WFUGrouping1").Slicers("slicer_db_WFUGrouping").Style = "SlicerStyleLight2"
        ActiveWorkbook.SlicerCaches("Slicer_Org_Unit1").Slicers("slicer_db_OrgUnit").Style = "SlicerStyleLight3"

to add the slicers.

Works perfectly! Even more valuable to me is that she helped me get my thinking correct on the whole topic. Thank you!

Upvote 0
awww. You're welcome, Scott. Glad to help. And thank you for returning and posting the solution.

Upvote 0
Hi there - I'm having a very similar problem which you might be able to help me with.

I'm trying to create 2 separate dashboards which consists of multiple graphs, linked to about 10-15 different pivot tables, which all come from the same source.

I'm in the earlier stages of the problem, so I haven't had to deal with the refreshing problem. However, I'm trying to link all of my graphs together (on one of the two dashboards) using a single slicer connected to about 5 different pivot tables on different sheets. The problem I'm having is that not all of the pivot tables show up when I try to connect them to the slicer.

After some searching on google, I suspect that the problem may have something to do with the pivot caches, but I'm not exactly sure how these work. Perhaps you might be able to help?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylsteve

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back