Unhiding "veryhidden" tabs w/ VBA (and issues with worksheet protection)

jmo92

Hi all,

I am working on a workbook that will be sent out to various people to input some information. There are about 40 countries, each with their own tab that they need to fill out - however I would like each person/country to only be able to view and edit their own tab.

I have a tab called Intro, which will be only tab visible when each country receives the doc. There are 4 fields that they need to fill in on Intro (B3:B6). B5 is where they enter which country they are from, so that cell needs to trigger the country tab unhiding. I have the following right now in Sheet1(Intro), which is working:
Code:
Private Sub worksheet_change(ByVal target As Excel.Range)

Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In Worksheets
        If ws.Name <> "Intro" And ws.Name <> Worksheets("Intro").Range("B5").Value Then
            ws.Visible = False
        End If
        If ws.Name = Worksheets("Intro").Range("B5").Value Then
            ws.Visible = True
        End If
    Next ws
End Sub
This works perfectly (the tab names match what they would enter into B5), but is missing 2 limitations I need.

1) I need to protect each country's sheet, as well as the Intro sheet so that they cannot edit anything except certain cells (B3:B6 on Intro, a different range of cells on the country sheets). When I protect all of the sheets then input a value in B5, I get a runtime error and it doesn't work. Any ideas on why this might be happening?

2) I need all hidden tabs to be very hidden, including all 40 country tabs and 2 other reference tabs, "Functions" and "Markets." I have the following in ThisWorkBook (I'm testing this all w/ just 2 of the 40 tabs there will eventually be, US and Brazil):
Code:
Sub WorkbookChange()

Worksheets("Functions").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
Worksheets("Markets").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
Worksheets("US").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
Worksheets("Brazil").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden

End Sub
This works when nothing is in cell B5. However, as soon as I input a value in B5 and run the macro, all of the tabs become just Hidden instead of VeryHidden.

I'm pretty new at VBA so would really appreciate any help, thank you!

I don't get any error on changing values in Intro!B5 in this file. Everything seems to be working normally. Opened and closed files a bunch of times but that didn't make any difference either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back