Unique values for specified range

aboodbata

I have a master sheet with thousands of rows. This sheet is basically the mother sheet where other sheets will be taking their data from. Let's take the following mother table for example:

Now I have another sheet which is exclusively for musical events. The table looks like this:

Basically, what I need is a formula in A3, that will extract only unique musical events from the mother sheet.

I know this can be achieved using a pivot table, but I prefer the formula method, which would probably involve index and match.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
I can't see your images (blocked at work). However it's straightforward with formulae. You need a helper column. In that column look for the value in the column where it's identified as a unique musical event.

Say your Master sheet helper column is K, from row 2 down
Code:
=IF( {see if it's a unique musical event}, MAX($K$1:$K{Row - 1})+1,"")

Then in your other worksheet column A is 1,2,3...
in column B is
Code:
    =IFERROR(MATCH($A{row},'Master sheet.xlsx'!$K:$K,0)-1,"")
and in columns C onwards
Code:
    =IF($B{row}="","",OFFSET('Master sheet.xlsx'!$B$1,$B{row},0))

Where {row} is the row number of the cell and 'Master sheet.xlsx'!$B$1 is the top row of each of the columns you need from the master

No doubt you could use INDEX but I personally don't use it, it's easier to see if something goes wrong with OFFSET (and you can do a lot more).
The downside to OFFSET is that if your Master Sheet isn't open it will return # REF ! errors.

HTH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't see your images (blocked at work). However it's straightforward with formulae. You need a helper column. In that column look for the value in the column where it's identified as a unique musical event.

Say your Master sheet helper column is K, from row 2 down
Code:
=IF( {see if it's a unique musical event}, MAX($K$1:$K{Row - 1})+1,"")

Then in your other worksheet column A is 1,2,3...
in column B is
Code:
    =IFERROR(MATCH($A{row},'Master sheet.xlsx'!$K:$K,0)-1,"")
and in columns C onwards
Code:
    =IF($B{row}="","",OFFSET('Master sheet.xlsx'!$B$1,$B{row},0))

Where {row} is the row number of the cell and 'Master sheet.xlsx'!$B$1 is the top row of each of the columns you need from the master

No doubt you could use INDEX but I personally don't use it, it's easier to see if something goes wrong with OFFSET (and you can do a lot more).
The downside to OFFSET is that if your Master Sheet isn't open it will return # REF ! errors.

HTH

Thank you very much for helping me out, but I don't quite understand your explanation. Therefore, please take a look at the following pictures and give me the exact formulas. And btw, all the information is contained in the same workbook, just different sheets.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
I can't see your sheets, imgur (and all file sharing sites) are blocked on my work PC. Sorry I can't help any more.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back