Unwanted Change to Date Formatting

SusaninHouston

I'm an experienced Excel user running into an annoying little problem in some of the models I've built. I can't seem to find any connection between when it happens and when it doesn't...

The problem is, a number that has been formatted in a Numeric format in a locked cell in a password-protected worksheet suddenly changes to a Date format.

I've never seen it happen on my own computer in a model that I personally am using, but I have seen that it has happened numerous times in models that I wrote and support.

As a developer, it s my habit to format every cell that I use (rarely General or Text), and almost never to format cells I don't use (entire columns, rows or sheets). So these cells - the ones that changed - were definitely formatted.

But they appear to change themselves -- Any clues?

My on-line searches just get me a primer on how to format numbers...

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
As noted in both posts that explained the problem "it has never occured on my PC" -- so no, I have not reinstalled Excel. As nearly all of my clients are non-technical, asking *them* to reinstall Excel just to see if it made a difference would be a very last resort...

Upvote 0
Thank you JonMo - That was definitely on track.

Though most of the 'causes' they allege (not base-formatting, conditional formatting, cell styles) are things I've already ruled out... They list file sharing as a possible cause, but I've educated my clients NEVER to share my files, as file sharing has long been known to be problematic in locked worksheets with macros...

And their 'cures' seem to be nothing more than reformatting the cells back (sorry, but duh!)...

Guess it's just one of those Excel bugs...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back