Update on a Linked Table Failed

LeeRxSol

I have a table in Access 2003 that is linked to a sql 2005 server. So far as I know I ahve all the essential parts for this table/form to update to the server correctly. I have a primary key, as well as a timestamp field in the table.

Here is the situation i'm attempting and horribly failing at.

I have a form that opens up based on a query. It pulls up a specific record that I need to update. I cannot edit any part of this record and save the information with out getting the "ODCB--Update on a linked table <tablename> failed." message. The query only pulls data from one table, and the form has several subforms on it, but those are not being updated. To complicate things further, I can't update the form, or the table so I don't feel that the problem is the form. I can update the table on the server side.

I hope I've included enough information however I'm certainly happy to answer any other questions that need to be asked to further clarify.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Yes, the table has a primary key, and it is part of the query.

If this helps any. I've now tested other tables and I'm having trouble editing data in those as well. I'm certain I've setup the odbc connection correctly. This is getting more mind boggling/frustrating by the moment.

Upvote 0
ok, I'm not sure of the rules so if I need to repost this, then just let me know.

I've done more testing and I think I have it narrowed down to a record locking issue. The way the form in question is opened, is by another form with a continious form of records. you click a button that opens the one you'd like to edit. Normally that original form stays open while you do your editing.

Now, I can close the original form, however once they're done editing the record I'm not sure what the best course of action to get the original form open again would be.

On the other hand, wouldit be easier to just adjust the record locking properties the right way to avoid the situation all together.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joan12

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back