Updating a Read-Only Book

Hamish88

Hello,

I control a workbook that I update the majority of however I want to allow a select number of people to update certain parts without the need to share or remember passwords. I have linked a text box from the read only file to a seperate file that people can update and save but as they can't save the read only file both files will need to be open for it to map over. Is there a way I can get around this? It is essentially a message board for managers to update as and when required so thought a text box would do. Could I create a button that will automatically put the read-only password in and save maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi there - just a quick idea - you could have autoopen code written to validate the users logon id against a list and unprotect or protect each sheet as necessary. This would be VERY easy to hack, so if you dont trust your users, its not a valid approach, but if you just want to inhibit accidental input then it may well work for you.

Upvote 0
Hi there - just a quick idea - you could have autoopen code written to validate the users logon id against a list and unprotect or protect each sheet as necessary. This would be VERY easy to hack, so if you dont trust your users, its not a valid approach, but if you just want to inhibit accidental input then it may well work for you.

Thanks for the reply. How would this work if the read-only file is open already? You click a hyperlink from the locked workbook that takes you to a different book to update so the file is already open in read-only. Also there are around 80 people in the office who regularly access this book and it often ghost locks out to where you can't input the password until a later time. I am resorting to creating a button that will auto-send me an email when someone has inputted what they want to input and I then save but this sort of defeats the purpose of it in the first place. The only reason it is password protected is down to accidental updates and sharing issues within excel itself. The file is in a secure place. Can't think of any other way to make this happen smoothly.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back