Updating Parent part system to all child parts

rippernash

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table that is an extract from a Bill of Materials.

I have columns A (Identifier) and B (Parent Identifier) already calculated. Currently, under column D (Part System), only the cells against the main BOM Module has a part system. I want to update this Part System to all the cells that have a 0 (child parts) based on the value in column B (Parent Identifier). If a cell in D already has a value, it should not be updated.
PartSystem.png

(Figure 1: File before part system update)

PartSystem-updated.png

(Figure 2: After Part system update)

I am looking for either a VBA macro or formula query to achieve this. The full file has thousands of rows so performance is important.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Can you explain the logic of how those expected results are obtained. In words, give the steps of how to do 1 or 2 of them.

Also, helpers will not be inclined to do that large amount of typing to try things out. Consider the following:

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
I apologize for the vagueness. Here is the logic: For every cell in range D2:D, look at corresponding cell in column B2:B. Then search for the first matching exact string in range of column A2:A, and if found, return the value of cell D2:D (or a copy of D2:D to avoid self reference).

Upvote 0
For every cell in range D2:D, look at corresponding cell in column B2:B.
You don't really mean every cell in D onwards do you? Otherwise D5 in your sample would be "Vehicle Integration"
I assume that you mean every cell in D2 onwards that currently holds a 0?

Any chance we could have that sample data with XL2BB as mentioned in my previous post? A lot of typing to set that up to test (& would be very easy to make a mistake ;))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back