Use VBA to install an Add-in from network - unable to add it to the add-ins collection

pleeseemailme

Board Regular
Howdy,

I've spent the past few days researching this and I can't figure out why my code is crashing. I have an add-in I've made that I want to distribute to other co-workers. I've placed the add-in on the network and in the workbook open event I have some code to install the add-in. The code is:
Code:
Dim NewAi as AddIn
Set NewAi = _Application.AddIns.Add("filepath" & ThisWorkbook.Name, CopyFile:=True)
NewAi.Installed = True

The code could crash at the first line - unable to get the Add property of the AddIns class. I tried modifying the code to this:
Code:
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Application.UserLibraryPath & ThisWorkbook.Name, xlOpenXMLAddIn
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Set NewAi = _
Application.AddIns.Add(Application.UserLibraryPath & ThisWorkbook.Name)
NewAi.Installed = True

Same thing. However, running it this way, when I open the network add-in again, it works. In other words: the first time it crashes, the second time it works.

My guess is what is happening is this: because the add-in isn't in the Library Path when Excel is opened, its not able to add the add-in to the collection. This is why when my second code runs the second time, it works - because the application recognizes an add-in file in the Library Path.

From all my reading online about this subject, this should not be the case. Using the first code should add the add-in to the collection.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix, or work around this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
That is also very helpful. I was aware of most of his tricks, except for saving the add-in as read only. I see the wisdom in that. Once again, thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back