Using a Cross-Reference Matrix to input text into another cell

Seb_C

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I was given a cross-reference matrix, a section of it is copied below. The numbers in Row 2 and Column C are unique identifiers.

Test IDT_001T_002T_003T_010
C_001Activity TitleCold Gas Blow DownBottle Piercer CharacterizationCG Assy CharacterizationGG Hydrostatic
Sys ID00000
C_029
C_001x
C_002xx
C_003x
C_007xx

Q1 - We want the text in Row 2 to appear in Column A if there is an ‘x’ (or any text?) in the row/column junction. In the example Column A should read something like:

6 T_001
7 T_002, T_010
8 T_003
9 T_001, T_003

The number of rows & columns are open ended, and will typically be > 50, so hardcoding a bunch of IF statements is not practical. And a row could potentially have an ‘x’ in each column, though in reality it is likely to be ~<10 in most rows.

Is there any way to do this without a macro?

Q2 – The data in Rows 2&3 is, or at least will be, Transposed from a table. This is currently done manually. I figure a macro triggered by a button will function, but if there is another way to do it that would be great. I can readily use INDEX MATCH to get Row 3 off Row 2, so I only need Row 2 to be automatically transposed.

Is there any way to have a TRANSPOSE of a dynamic length, or other Table or operation to fill out Row 2? not sure if it is possible, but I don’t want to use a Query because we will be inputting data on this sheet that needs to be read elsewhere and I don’t want it to disappear when a query is refreshed.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
This won't work in xl 2016, but how about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
2Test IDT_001T_002T_003T_010
3C_001Activity TitleCold Gas Blow DownBottle Piercer CharacterizationCG Assy CharacterizationGG Hydrostatic
4Sys ID00000
5 C_029
66 T_001C_001x
77 T_002, 7 T_010C_002xx
88 T_003C_003x
99 T_001, 9 T_003C_007xx
Lists
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A5:A9A5=TEXTJOIN(", ",,IF(M5:P5="x",ROW() & " " &$M$2:$P$2,""))

Upvote 0
Q2 – The data in Rows 2&3 is, or at least will be, Transposed from a table. This is currently done manually. I figure a macro triggered by a button will function, but if there is another way to do it that would be great. I can readily use INDEX MATCH to get Row 3 off Row 2, so I only need Row 2 to be automatically transposed.
If you want data from Row 2 to be dynamically transposed you can try Transpose with Table. Even if you add more data's to the row transpose can handle it if the data is in Excel TABLE.

Upvote 0
If you want data from Row 2 to be dynamically transposed you can try Transpose with Table. Even if you add more data's to the row transpose can handle it if the data is in Excel TABLE.
The TRANSPOSE doesn't seem to grow with the table though. When I add a row to the table I need to go and manually add a column to the transposed data unless I have the array extended out beyond the expected maximum range. Not a showstopper, but I will probably be asked to make it a macro so something doesn't get missed if there end up being more rows then anticipated. Though the difficulty of changing an array formula accidently does have some benefits. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This won't work in xl 2016, but how about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
2Test IDT_001T_002T_003T_010
3C_001Activity TitleCold Gas Blow DownBottle Piercer CharacterizationCG Assy CharacterizationGG Hydrostatic
4Sys ID00000
5 C_029
66 T_001C_001x
77 T_002, 7 T_010C_002xx
88 T_003C_003x
99 T_001, 9 T_003C_007xx
Lists
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A5:A9A5=TEXTJOIN(", ",,IF(M5:P5="x",ROW() & " " &$M$2:$P$2,""))
Fluff, I really like the simplicity of that. unfortunately the IF statement over a range doesn't seem to work in 2019 either. Do you know if it is only for Office365?

Upvote 0
Forgot to mention you will need to confirm the formula with Ctrl Shift Enter, rather than just Enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d4vew

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back