VBA: Adding Times/Decimals Together in Textboxes

katk

Board Regular
Hi all,

I have a series of textboxes in a userform that need to be added up... the answer goes into a final textbox, which can be altered if necessary. The basic idea is "end time - start time - lunch time + travel time = total."

I was using this code to achieve it, which worked fine when all the textboxes contained straight-up numbers (eg 9.5):

Code:
Dim dblSum As Double
      On Error Resume Next
      dblSum = CDbl(Start1.Value)
      dblSum = (dblSum) * (-1) + CDbl(End1.Value)
      dblSum = dblSum - CDbl(Lunch1.Value)
      dblSum = dblSum + CDbl(Travel1.Value)
        Total1 = dblSum

The entry needs to be very intuitive however, since I'm making this for someone else who isn't very computer-savvy. the Start time and End time need to be written like "9:30 a" or "10:00 p" while the lunch and travel times will be decimals (.5, 1.25)...

I can't figure out how to get those different kinds of values to add and subtract within this basic code framework... mostly because I don't actually know what the "double" is doing... I tried taking it away and just adding the values (with the decimals divided by 24) but that didn't work, and I don't know what else to convert to/format as to make this work.

This might be easy... but I couldn't find a solution online that combined the issue of the textboxes/vba with the issue of adding disparate formats... and although I'm a decent coder, I've just never been able to understand dim'ing things as double, single, long.

As a side note, I know that "on error resume next" isn't a great tactic... but I'll deal with that later!

Thanks so much for any help,
Katherine

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Maybe something like this to convert the End-Start time to a decimal value in hours:
Code:
Format((Cdate(end time)-Cdate(start time)*24,"0.00")

Upvote 0
Okay, that definitely helped! I stopped getting errors immediately, and then I added an additional *24 and that seemed to get me the right answers... the only problem is, for parts of hours (eg 8:15 - 9:30 as opposed to 8:00 to 9:00), it's taking them out of 100 instead of out of 60... so it thinks 15 minutes is 1/6th rather than 1/4.

(In other words, it knows 8:00 a to 9:00 p = 13 hours, but it thinks 8:00 a to 9:15 p is 13.166666667 hours...)

This is what my code looks like right now:

Code:
Dim dblSum As Double
Dim edst as Date 'end time - start time
edst = Format((CDate(End1.Value)-CDate(Start1.Value))*24,"0.00") 
On Error Resume Next      
dblSum = edst * 24       
dblSum = dblSum - CDbl(Lunch1.Value)      
dblSum = dblSum + CDbl(Travel1.Value)        
Total1 = dblSum

If you have any ideas on how I can fix the minutes... that would be great! Thanks so much!

Upvote 0
Select two cells adjacent to each other. In the left-most cell enter 9:15 PM, in the next cell to the right enter 8:00 AM. Select the cell containing 9:15 PM. In the VB editor Immediate Window (Open editor using alt + F11, then Immediate window using ctrl+G) enter
?Format((Cdate(selection)-Cdate(selection.offset(0,1)))*24,"00.00")
and hit return. I get 13.25.What do you get?

Upvote 0
I'm getting 13.25 too... however when I put the same numbers in the userform I get (correction, misread this the first time because I was guesstimating fractions) 13.41666667. So I guess somehow it's dividing by 36, rather than 60...
Could it have something to do with the double? Thanks for working with me on this, I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
I'm getting 13.25 too... however when I put the same numbers in the userform I get (correction, misread this the first time because I was guesstimating fractions) 13.41666667. So I guess somehow it's dividing by 36, rather than 60...
Could it have something to do with the double? Thanks for working with me on this, I really appreciate it!
If you are getting the correct value for edst (13.25 in your example) in hours, why are you multiplying it by 24 to get dblSum?

Upvote 0
When i did your test on the worksheet with the immediate window, i got 13.25... But with my code, the numbers come out as tubby decimals unless i multiply that extra 24.

Upvote 0
When i did your test on the worksheet with the immediate window, i got 13.25... But with my code, the numbers come out as tubby decimals unless i multiply that extra 24.
I just discovered from your earlier post that you have dimensioned edst as Date.
This line:
is intended to coerce edst to a decimal value which conflicts with the dimensioning. Try dimensioning edst as double and remove that *24 from the dblSum assignment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just discovered from your earlier post that you have dimensioned edst as Date.
This line:
is intended to coerce edst to a decimal value which conflicts with the dimensioning. Try dimensioning edst as double and remove that *24 from the dblSum assignment.

Thanks so much, that worked! I knew the double issue had to be involved... Interestingly, it also worked for me (before i got this post) to remove the second * 24 and add a decimal place to the format (0.000)...but i think your fix is more logical and therefore better! Again, thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amadams

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back