vba code conditional formatting in excel 2003

kpicciot

I have 2 tables consisting of six quarters of data, the first table contains bank names and the second adjacent table contains the values associated with each bank. Each quarter of data is sorted in ascending order according to corresponding values in values table.

I have a drop down box that allows user to select a bank which in turn highlights all occurrences of that bank name in the table. I need the corresponding values to also be highlighted as well. This could easily be accomplished using conditional formatting feature in later versions of excel but excel 2003 does not provide necessary options(applies to option, for example). The dropdown is in <CODE>A1</CODE>, bank rankings in <CODE>C3:O17</CODE>, and values in J<CODE>3:O17

</CODE>The code below removes highlight from previously selected bank and calls code that highlights currently selected bank from drop down.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Target.Worksheet.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then HighLightCells2
End Sub

This code highlights currently selected bank from drop down.

Sub HighLightCells2()
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
If Not Range("A1") = vbNullString Then
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlCellValue, Operator:=xlEqual, _
Formula1:=Range("A1")
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4

End If
End Sub

I think a formula =$A$1=C3 is necessary to apply highlight to value cells but I am not certain of syntax and whether(or how) it should be added in the above code as a format condition. I can provide any further details necessary.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Thanks p45cal

Through significant trial and error I was finally able to get it to work. I did use VBA however, the Formula Is option didn't work in A1 and when I applied it to the range it worked once but would change relative references the moment I changed selection in A1 drop down. Perhaps, I'm doing it incorrectly but I gave up and worked with the code...which required I activate the first cell of the valued range before using the formula. Take a look. Maybe there is a more direct way of accomplishing it...altho this works. (fyi: Name ranges were in C3:H17)
Sub HighLightCells2()
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete
If Not Range("A1") = vbNullString Then
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlCellValue, Operator:=xlEqual, _
Formula1:=Range("A1")
ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
ActiveSheet.Range("$J$3:$O$178").Cells.Activate
ActiveSheet.Range("$J$3:$O$178").Cells.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, _
Formula1:="=$A$1 = c3"
ActiveSheet.Range("$J$3:$O$178").Cells.FormatConditions(2).Interior.ColorIndex = 4

ActiveSheet.Range("a1").Cells.Activate

End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxim_sivakon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back