VBA Code to Create Named Ranges for Entire Columns in a Worksheet Based on a List of Names in Another Worksheet

makaotk

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I'm an intermediate Excel user and this is my first post. I always consult this site whenever I get stuck. However, I'm having difficulty figuring out the following:

BACKGROUND:
With my work, I often need from time to time to extract data from a very old/legacy custom-made software that contains several databases for the different divisions/sections of the organization (think 90's software, that has no integration other than exporting the data in Excel 97 format). I usually have a simple macro to clean up the resulting data (containing hundreds of columns and thousands of rows) and save it in the current Word format. Lately, the powers that be gave me notice that they will be tasking me with delivering ad-hoc excel reports, as well as creating forms/dashboards using various extracted databases' data. I've also been told that I will need to extract this data on a daily basis (end of day). Therefore, I will be needed to copy & paste the new daily data into the main Excel worksheet to get the most updated information. (I know what you're thinking... JUST UPGRADE TO 2023 TECH! You have no idea how the most simple common sense ideas are often the hardest to get accomplish!! Alas, this is the reality I live with right now).

GOAL:
I want to create Named Ranges using a macro/VBA code that will name each column (i.e., A:A, B:B, C:C --> 156 columns) in Worksheet#1 using the list of pre-determined names in Worksheet#2 (starting with A1, then A2, A3, etc). I want to run the macro every time I extract data from the database so I can just copy and paste the information in the main excel document, as well as have my formulas reference the named ranges. Is this possible? Thank you!

Jack

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
try this on a copy of your workbook:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
With Worksheets("Sheet2")
lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
listnms = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 1))
End With

For i = 1 To lastrow
 Set Rng = Range(Columns(i), Columns(i))
 ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:=listnms(i, 1), RefersTo:=Rng
Next i
End Sub

Upvote 0
Wow, worked like a charm!! Thank you soooo much. This will save me hours! :)

Upvote 0
If you are able to insert a row, temporarily, above the data you could try this.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub CreateNameRanges()
Dim wsData As Worksheet
Dim wsHeadings As Worksheet
Dim rngData As Range
Dim rngHeadings As Range

Set wsData = Sheets("Sheet1")

Set wsHeadings = Sheets("Sheet2")

Set rngHeadings = wsHeadings.Range("A1").CurrentRegion

wsData.Rows(1).Insert

rngHeadings.Copy

wsData.Range("A1").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues, Transpose:=True

wsData.Range("A1").CurrentRegion.CreateNames Top:=True, Left:=False, Bottom:=False, Right:=False

wsData.Rows(1).Delete

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back