VBA code to pasting to Notepad, without tabs

blondeambition

Hi,
I need help with figuring out vba code to paste data from Excel to Notepad, without the spaces in between each word/number. I would like to replace the space with these, "|".

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Sorry Andrew, please bear with me. This is the coding I'm using to open Notepad and to paste the data from Excel. Only problem is, as you know, I need to replace the tabs (spaces between) with the " | ".

Range("A1:EX100").Copy
Shell "notepad.exe", vbNormalFocus
SendKeys "^V"

Upvote 0
Sorry Andrew, please bear with me. This is the coding I'm using to open Notepad and to paste the data from Excel. Only problem is, as you know, I need to replace the tabs (spaces between) with the " | ". ........

Hi „blondeambition“,
. The Text File given by Andrew Poulson here
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/213591-pipe-delimited-files.html
became something of a standard I use when answering threads requiring a simple quick write of an Excel sheet to a Text file
. This simple adaption below will either create or replace a File with the your name and the current date. It is placed in the same workbook as your Excel file is in
. The contents come up exactly as You want, (at least by me herein XL 2007) delimitated with the Pipe Character.
. (Again you will need to change the sheet name to suit your sheet)
. The point I think, and characteristic of this method, compared with others is that you are effectively writing to “any Notebook file” (or rather text .txt File). You could rename it to “AnyNotepadFile” . I do not think you can get any closer. As Andrew Poulsom pointed out, I think you must have some name, and it must go somewhere, so you must have a file path also. And again the point that Andrew Poulsom said, you do not need to open Notepad with this method. The “Open” bit in the code is wot I like to think of “Opening up a data “Highway”” that leads into the file which is either there or is sort of (I thoink?) instantly made as the higway is “Opened” or first used.

Code:

Code:
 [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] PoulsomDatensaetzeSchreibenblondeambition()    [color=green]' schreib ein excel tabelle aus als einfach text datei getrennt mit ;[/color]
   [color=green]'   test datei wurde neue geshreiben jedesmal, bzw ALTE UBERSCHREIBEN!!![/color]

[color=darkblue]Dim[/color] i [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Integer[/color], k [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Integer[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] T() [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color], DateBodge [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Let[/color] DateBodge = Date
    [color=darkblue]Let[/color] DateBodge = Left(DateBodge, 6)
    [color=darkblue]Let[/color] DateBodge = DateBodge & Right(Date, 2)
    [color=darkblue]Let[/color] DateBodge = Replace(DateBodge, ".", "")
    [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] RowNumber [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], LastRowNumber [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], ColumnNumber [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], LastColumnNumber [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Let[/color] LastColumnNumber = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
    [color=darkblue]Let[/color] LastRowNumber = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

[color=darkblue]ReDim[/color] T(1 [color=darkblue]To[/color] LastColumnNumber)     [color=green]'  T ist ein tempory Array[/color]

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("PoulsomTextPipe").Activate
    [color=red]ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Activate[/color]
    [color=darkblue]On[/color] [color=darkblue]Error[/color] [color=darkblue]GoTo[/color] Fehler

[color=green]' Datei öffnen zum Schreiben[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Open[/color] ThisWorkbook.Path & "\blondeambition  " & DateBodge & ".txt" [color=darkblue]For[/color] [color=darkblue]Output[/color] [color=darkblue]As[/color] 1

[color=darkblue]For[/color] i = 1 [color=darkblue]To[/color] LastRowNumber
        [color=darkblue]For[/color] k = 1 [color=darkblue]To[/color] LastColumnNumber  [color=green]'  k range determines welcher von Temp array spalters wurde gelesen[/color]
            T(k) = Cells(i, k).Value
        [color=darkblue]Next[/color] k
        [color=green]' Zusammengefügte Zeile schreiben[/color]
        [color=darkblue]Print[/color] #1, Join(T, "|")   [color=green]'    ganz temp array wurde geschreiben  auch leer platz, values[/color]
        [color=green]' seperated mit    ;[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Next[/color] i

[color=green]' Datei schließen[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Close[/color] 1
    [color=darkblue]Exit[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]
Fehler:
    MsgBox (Err.Description)
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] [color=green]'PoulsomDatensaetzeSchreibenblondeambition()[/color]

. The only issue I have ever had with this code and others doing something similar is that they either crash or give incorrect results the first time around. No one could ever explain this. I have found, however, by practice that adding a line to activate the first cell always (to date) eliminates this problem. (That has also become something of a standard for me to guard against inconsistent “one off” errors which are impossible to track down as they only occur occasionally once!!.)
. This “Bodge” is shown in Red in the above code

Alan

Upvote 0
Thanks DocAElstein but I was hoping for something a little more compact, less code, that would include the below range.

Range("A1:EX100").Copy
Shell "notepad.exe", vbNormalFocus
SendKeys "^V"

Upvote 0
OK fine. I'm a little confused about the filename...this macro needs to be used by others too, not just me so I can't use a file from my personal drive.

My modified version puts a text ( .txt) file in the same directory as that in which the Excel File is (This Excel File is that has the data you want sent to a text File and also has that macro in it

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back