VBA Evaluate Array Formula

Leila33

Hello,

I'm trying to use the following code to evaluate an array formula across a range of cells:

Sub EvaluateTest()

ActiveSheet.Range("D2:G2").Value = Evaluate("=IFERROR(INDEX(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000,SMALL(IF(AllFiles!$C$2:$C$1000000=$A$2,ROW(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000)-ROW(AllFiles!A$2)+1),ROWS(AllFiles!A$2:AllFiles!A2))),"""")")

ActiveSheet.Range("D2:G10000").FillDown

End Sub

However, I keep getting the result from the 1st cell copied across the entire range. The desired result should be different for each cell as the row and column change.

When I insert the formula manually and copy it down Excel, it works. However, I have some code on the other sheet that must be run daily. Such code does not work/freezes when links are present on this sheet, since the links are literally updating every second it runs.

Thus, this is why I need evaluated results only. Does anyone know how to fix this?? :confused: Thanks in advance.

Ps: I'm not very fluent in VBA. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I am basically trying to convert the code above into a loop, in such way that "A2" becomes A3, and then A4, A5, and so on as you go down each row...I have tried:

Dim i As Integer
For i = 2 To 10
Cells(i, 4).Value = Evaluate("=IFERROR(INDEX(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000,SMALL(IF(AllFiles!$C$2:$C$100000* ​ 0=$A$2,ROW(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000)-ROW(AllFiles!A$2)+1),ROWS(AllFiles!A$2:AllFile* ​s!Ai))),"""")")
Next i
End Sub

Here I am only trying to change the rows; ideally, both row and columns would change, but I can deal with having to use a different formula per column.

Upvote 0
I think this is what you're looking to do:

Code:
With Range("D2:D20")
    .Formula = "=IFERROR(INDEX(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000,SMALL(IF(AllFiles!$C$2:$C$1000000=$A$2,ROW(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000)-ROW(AllFiles!A$2)+1),ROWS(AllFiles!A$2:AllFiles!A2))),"""")"
    .FormulaArray = .FormulaR1C1
    .Value = .Value
End With

I wouldn't try this on too large a range, or else the worksheet is going to take a long time to calculate.

Upvote 0
I have modified the code because I now need two different formulas, for different ranges:

Sub TagSearch()

With Range("D2:E50")
.Formula = “=IFERROR(INDEX(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000,SMALL(IF((AllFiles!$C$2:$C$1000000=$A$2)*( AllFiles!$A$2:$A$1000000>=$B$2)*( AllFiles!$A$2:$A$1000000<=$C$2),ROW(AllFiles!A$2:A$1000000)-ROW(AllFiles!A$2)+1),ROWS(AllFiles!A$2:AllFiles!A2))),""””)”
.Value = .Value
End With

With Range("F2:AR50")
.Formula = “=IFERROR(INDEX(AllFiles!$D$2:$D$1000000,SMALL(IF((AllFiles!$C$2:$C$1000000=F$1)*( AllFiles!$A$2:$A$1000000>=$B$2)*( AllFiles!$A$2:$A$1000000<=$C$2),ROW(AllFiles!$D$2:$D$1000000)-ROW(AllFiles!$D$2)+1),ROWS(AllFiles!$D$2:AllFiles!$D2))),""””)”
.Value = .Value
End With

End Sub

However, I now get the error #13 for type mismatch, at the .FormulaArray line...maybe because it's being redefined? I thought that with different with statements it should be fine, but I guess not...any ideas? Thanks

I also added some extra conditions I needed, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. The conditions work fine when one formula is used. The fact that there are 2 of them seems to be the problem..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can replicate the error. It looks like it's an Excel resources issue because your formulae are working with a million rows.

If I reduce the number of rows to, say, 100, then this code works just fine:

Code:
With Range("D2:E50")
    .Formula = "=IFERROR(INDEX(AllFiles!A$2:A$100,SMALL(IF((AllFiles!$C$2:$C$100=$A$2)*( AllFiles!$A$2:$A$100>=$B$2)*( AllFiles!$A$2:$A$100<=$C$2),ROW(AllFiles!A$2:A$100)-ROW(AllFiles!A$2)+1),ROWS(AllFiles!A$2:AllFiles!A2))),"""")"
    .Value = .Value
End With

Do you really need to be working with a million rows. If so, a change of approach might be needed, e.g. perhaps take a copy of AllFiles!A:C, paste the values somewhere, and just filter or sort the values you actually need?

Upvote 0
Hello,

Unfortunately, I do need the million rows. The data on the sheet "All Files" will have approximately that many rows eventually as it's updated. It'll have a year's worth of data.

I'm pulling 50 rows on the formula for testing, but it's actually around 5000. The thing is, the formula is pulling values from a bunch of different categories on the big sheet, and setting them up side by side. It's slow, but the other methods I tried (such as setting up links) were even slower.

I need two formulas because of two different criteria patterns...I guess I can use separate macros for each formula, but I just wanted to see if they could work in one. Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timber5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back