VBA Excel 2010 Run-time Error 1004 - Application-defined or Object-defined Error

Ross Tran

Hi,

I am a new analyst working on a Macro-enabled worksheet. I ran into some rather popular run-time error while trying to run my macros (i.e., create, delete) multiple times on the same worksheet. I research on the internet and found that the error occurred because my object/variable has not been released every time I re-run the macro. The quick workaround is that I save my worksheet every time I make a change before I run the macros; however, there seems to be a better solution that would get rid of this problem entirely by changing the code to "re-define" my objects every I run the macros. Since I am pretty new to VBA, I am seeking some help with the below lines of code:

Sub Delete_Icons()

' INTERSECT COMMAND DETERMINES IF A SHAPE EXISTS WITHIN A SPECIFIED RANGE.

' IF THERE IS A SHAPE WITHIN ROWS 3 AND 1000 THEN IT WILL BE DELETED.
' THIS DOES NOT DELETE THE MACRO BUTTON IN ROWS 1 AND 2.

<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, serif; white-space: inherit; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;">Dim shp As Shape
For Each shp In ActiveSheet.Shapes
' this below line caused run-time error 1004
If Not Intersect(shp.TopLeftCell, Range("A3:F1000")) Is Nothing Then
shp.Delete
End If
Next shp

</code>Any help to fix the run-time error in this line of code would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Ross

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the forum, Ross.

From reading your code, my diagnosis of the problem is slightly different to yours. I think the issue is you haven't qualified that Range property and your code is sitting in a sheet class module. This means the code will error if the sheet containing the code isn't the active sheet.

To elaborate on that a bit more, it is possible that shp.TopLeftCell is returning a reference to a range on the active sheet but Range("A3:F1000") is returning a reference to a range on a different sheet: range objects in VBA are strictly 2 dimensional and cannot span across sheets which means you get a runtime error when it tries to intersect them. If I'm right then you can fix the problem by qualifying the Range property with Activesheet:

Code:
If Not Intersect(shp.TopLeftCell, [COLOR=#ff0000]ActiveSheet.[/COLOR]Range("A3:F1000")) Is Nothing Then

Or you could move your code into a standard code module. When unqualified Range properties sit in a standard code module they will refer to ranges on the active sheet.

Upvote 0
Hi. I have read the Run-Time Error 1004 Application defined or object defined error explanations, but I am still stumped on the Format Deals subroutine. I receive the error at the line "Columns("G:G").Select". Any insight appreciated.

End With

ActiveWindow.Zoom = 90

End If

sheetnum = sheetnum + 1

Loop

Sheets("sheet1").Cells.Delete

'Sub FormatDeals()

' Color green deals over X days and red over $XXXXX
Sheets("Midwest").Select
Columns("G:G").Select
Selection.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlCellValue, Operator:=xlGreater, _
Formula1:="=2"
Selection.FormatConditions(Selection.FormatConditions.Count).SetFirstPriority
With Selection.FormatConditions(1).Font
.Color = -16752384
.TintAndShade = 0
End With

Upvote 0
Sorry - forgot to add that it is a run-time and compiler error in Excel 2007. Subroutine is to conditional format the Midwest deals on the Midwest tab in green over X number of days (redacted) and in red the deals on the Midwest tab over $XXXXX (redacted).

The code extends more and then ends in "End Sub".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelevnt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back