VBA (Macro) - Function with Variable Array

katie in cambridge

I apologize if this is obvious or has been answered elsewhere (I've searched high and low and haven't come across it, even my manuals/books I am using to learn this stuff).

I'm new to VBAs and macros.

I'm trying to create a macro that will return the 50th percentile (median) of a column. I can use the record function to create such a macro:
Code:
Range("C18").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=PERCENTILE.INC(R[-16]C:R[-3]C,0.5)"
    Range("C19").Select

This example is from dummy data I was playing with and works great...for the 15 lines of data in that column.

The problem is that my macro needs to account for the fact that there will be different numbers of cells in the column on occasion. Sometimes I will have 1000 cells in the column with data, other times 2000, and so on.

On top of this, I would like the median to be returned three lines underneath the last active cell (and oh, yeah, the data is noncontiguous).

I tried using
Code:
Range(ActiveCell, ActiveCell.End(xlDown)).Select</pre>

but it didn't work or at least I didn't do it correctly.

I have also tried to use
Code:
Sub LastCellInColumn()  Range("C65536").End(xlup).Select  End Sub

I have absolutely no idea how to move the returned value relative to the variable array.

Is this hopeless? Thanks, Katie

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi Katie,

Are you looking for this?
Code:
Sub Gen_Formula()
    Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(3).FormulaR1C1 = "=PERCENTILE(R2C:R[-3]C,0.5)"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you SO MUCH exceldevs! You are a miracle worker. This is perfect. I feel kind of dumb now - spent hours trying to figure this out!

If I wanted this to run in the active cell column (without regard to "C" or what have you - whatever column my cursor was in, for example), would I modify the range to include a reference to activecell?

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Try:
Code:
Cells(Rows.Count, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp).Offset(3).FormulaR1C1 = "=PERCENTILE(R2C:R[-3]C,0.5)"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back