VBA to connect to SQL Server

VidyaKruthi

Hi All Good Evening,

Please help me out how to connect to SQL Server and get data using VBA.

Derangeddm, thanks for the clarification. At the end it didn't work for me until in the connection string I used AttachDBFileName=C:\... with full path to DB (.mdf file)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
To start thanks for any help I get in advance. I have a workbook with SQL connection and query already working, but I have been asked to add a few columns. The information that I am adding could be in 1 of 30 different tables that are scattered across about 13 different servers. My company has built a template for a dynamic search to sift through all these tables across all the servers to find the information needed. So I've added this template to the already prebuilt query and I've got the query getting everything we need in SQL Server Management Studio. I know the query works because I use it daily, but when I add it to the workbook it pulls all the information that is on the server my connection string connects to but stops there. It runs fine with no errors it just doesn't give me everything I'm querying... I'm wondering if I would need to create a connection to all of the servers? Again thanks in advance for any advise.

Upvote 0
I should add, I need to hardcode the username and password as our VBA query keeps popping up with the login prompt every time we run it and we want to stop the prompt. We use two SQL servers so I'll need to do this for both.

Upvote 0
It has taken me ages to find a straightforward example like this to work from.

How do add the server username and password, I'm guessing it's this line:

"Integrated Security=SSPI;"

This connection string includes the User ID and Password.
Code:
    'Open Connection'
        objMyConn.ConnectionString = "Provider=IBMDA400;Data Source=YourSource;User Id=YourUserName;Password=YourPassword;Force Translate = 0;"
        objMyConn.Open

You will need to modify the Provider, Data Source, User ID and Password values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back