VBA to create a named range

robprager

Hi everyone, I'm a VBA newbie and trying to learn more :)

I'm running Windows 7 and Office 2013.

I read this page, http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...l-basic-applications-define-named-ranges.html, but the code that was provided isn't exactly the same as what I am after.

I have the following scenario on a worksheet (see below), except in my specific case, I have about 70 different combinations of named ranges to create, so I have populated until row 70. I'm looking for a macro that will create a named range by taking the text string in A1, and making that the named range for the range reference in B1 etc.

AB
1NamedRange1Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$1:$A$5
2NamedRange2Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$6:$A$10
3NamedRange3Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$11:$A$15

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out :)

Last edited:
Hi Domenic

I've tried to amend the code as I need two macros for slightly different purposes, producing a different range. For the first one, EG Sheet1:Sheet10 I actually want it to return in the list Sheet 1 and Sheet 10. I don't for the second one. I also don't want it to create a new sheet.

They are working fine, but when I come to exit excel after running the 2 macros from 2 buttons, it crashes. Could it be due to a memory leak?

Thanks!

Sub ListSheetNames()

Dim aSheetNames() As String
Dim sFirstSheet As String
Dim sLastSheet As String
Dim SheetCount As Long
Dim i As Long

sFirstSheet = "Sheet1" 'change the name of the first sheet accordingly
sLastSheet = "Sheet10" 'change the name of the last sheet accordingly

ReDim aSheetNames(1 To Sheets.Count)

SheetCount = 0
For i = Sheets(sFirstSheet).Index + 0 To Sheets(sLastSheet).Index - 0
SheetCount = SheetCount + 1
aSheetNames(SheetCount) = Sheets(i).Name
Next i

ReDim Preserve aSheetNames(1 To SheetCount)

Range("B45").Resize(UBound(aSheetNames)).Value = Application.Transpose(aSheetNames)

End Sub

---

Sub ListSheetNames1()

Dim aSheetNames() As String
Dim sFirstSheet As String
Dim sLastSheet As String
Dim SheetCount As Long
Dim i As Long

sFirstSheet = "BD" 'change the name of the first sheet accordingly
sLastSheet = "Ref" 'change the name of the last sheet accordingly

ReDim aSheetNames(1 To Sheets.Count)

SheetCount = 0
For i = Sheets(sFirstSheet).Index + 2 To Sheets(sLastSheet).Index - 1
Next i

ReDim Preserve aSheetNames(1 To SheetCount)

Range("D45").Resize(UBound(aSheetNames)).Value = Application.Transpose(aSheetNames)

End Sub

Maybe something like this...

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Option[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Explicit
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] ListSheetNames()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] aSheetNames()           [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] sFirstSheet             [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] sLastSheet              [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] SheetCount              [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] i                       [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]

sFirstSheet = "Sheet5" [COLOR=green]'change the name of the first sheet accordingly[/COLOR]
    sLastSheet = "Sheet12" [COLOR=green]'change the name of the last sheet accordingly[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]ReDim[/COLOR] aSheetNames(1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] Sheets.Count)

SheetCount = 0
    [COLOR=darkblue]For[/COLOR] i = Sheets(sFirstSheet).Index + 1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] Sheets(sLastSheet).Index - 1
    [COLOR=darkblue]Next[/COLOR] i

[COLOR=darkblue]ReDim[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Preserve[/COLOR] aSheetNames(1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] SheetCount)

Worksheets.Add before:=Sheets(1)

Range("A2").Resize(UBound(aSheetNames)).Value = Application.Transpose(aSheetNames)

[COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
You didn't say where you want your list. I'll assume that you want it in the active worksheet. Accordingly, try...

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Option[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Explicit
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] ExclusiveList()

[COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] aSheetNames()           [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] sFirstSheet             [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] sLastSheet              [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] SheetCount              [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]Dim[/COLOR] i                       [COLOR=darkblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Long[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] TypeName(ActiveSheet) <> "Worksheet" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        MsgBox "Please make sure that a worksheet is the active sheet!", vbExclamation
        [COLOR=darkblue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR]

sFirstSheet = "BD" [COLOR=green]'change the name of the first sheet accordingly[/COLOR]
    sLastSheet = "Ref" [COLOR=green]'change the name of the last sheet accordingly[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkblue]ReDim[/COLOR] aSheetNames(1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] Sheets.Count)

SheetCount = 0
    [COLOR=darkblue]For[/COLOR] i = Sheets(sFirstSheet).Index + 1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] Sheets(sLastSheet).Index - 1

[COLOR=darkblue]ReDim[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Preserve[/COLOR] aSheetNames(1 [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] SheetCount)

Range("D45").Resize(UBound(aSheetNames)).Value = Application.Transpose(aSheetNames)

Code:
[COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR] InclusiveList()

[COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR] TypeName(ActiveSheet) <> "Worksheet" [COLOR=darkblue]Then[/COLOR]
        MsgBox "Please make sure that a worksheet is the active sheet!", vbExclamation
        [COLOR=darkblue]Exit[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]Sub[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=darkblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=darkblue]If[/COLOR]

sFirstSheet = "Sheet1" [COLOR=green]'change the name of the first sheet accordingly[/COLOR]
    sLastSheet = "Sheet10" [COLOR=green]'change the name of the last sheet accordingly[/COLOR]

SheetCount = 0
    [COLOR=darkblue]For[/COLOR] i = Sheets(sFirstSheet).Index [COLOR=darkblue]To[/COLOR] Sheets(sLastSheet).Index

Range("B45").Resize(UBound(aSheetNames)).Value = Application.Transpose(aSheetNames)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hochanz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back