VBA to highlight the activecell but restore previous color (if any) when cell loses focus

WednesdayC

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi All

I have trawled the internet but am having trouble finding the answer to this one.

I would like the Worksheet_Selectionchange event to temporarily change the colour (say yellow) but then restore any existing colour (if appropriate) upon exiting the cell.

I am using Excel 2011 (Excel for Mac) if it makes any difference.

Please can anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance

Wednesday

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Do you have cells with conditional formatting ? If not then you could use the following code

Code in the worksheet module :

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    Static oPrev As Range

On Error Resume Next
    oPrev.FormatConditions.Delete
    Target.FormatConditions.Add(Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:=True).Interior.Color = vbRed
    Set oPrev = Target
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Jaafar

It works a treat!

Thank you so much.

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards
Wednesday

Upvote 0
Do you have cells with conditional formatting ? If not then you could use the following code

Code in the worksheet module :

Code:
    Static oPrev As Range

On Error Resume Next
    oPrev.FormatConditions.Delete
    Target.FormatConditions.Add(Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:=True).Interior.Color = vbRed
    Set oPrev = Target
End Sub
Dear Jaafar,

This code works beautifully. I am just a beginner to VBA. Would you mind explaining the logic of each step? Does "oPrev" retain the range address (or range address with formatting)? and "Set oPrev = Target"? Also would you please recommend a good text book to learn Excel VBA. Thank You.

Upvote 0
Dear Jaafar,

This code works beautifully. I am just a beginner to VBA. Would you mind explaining the logic of each step? Does "oPrev" retain the range address (or range address with formatting)? and "Set oPrev = Target"? Also would you please recommend a good text book to learn Excel VBA. Thank You.
Hi Paul_C

Sorry, I missed your post.

The code simply adds conditional formatting to the activecell (ie:=Target)... The CF formula always evaluates to TRUE hence the CF color of the activecell always is set to Red.

Right before the SelectionChange event handler routine exits, the current active cell is stored in a Static variable (oPrev) for the subsequent range selection. This is needed so that the CF of the previous selected range is removed and the initial range color is displayed.

Bear in mind though that this approach for highlighting the current selection has a drawback : It assumes the user has no pre-existing CF set up on the worksheet.... If there is an existing CF, it will be inadvertently removed by the line : oPrev.FormatConditions.Delete.

I hope my explanation was helpful.

PS:
Does "oPrev" retain the range address (or range address with formatting)?
oPrev is a static range variable that retains the previously selected range object.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hello :)

can i ask if the same is possible with cells that have conditional formatting ? thank you !!!

Upvote 0
i found the solution :) !!!

VBA Code:

Static PrevCell As Range

If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

If Not PrevCell Is Nothing Then

PrevCell.Font.Color = RGB(0, 0, 0)

PrevCell.Font.Bold = False

End If

Selection.Cells.Font.Color = RGB(255, 255, 255)

Target.Font.Bold = True

Set PrevCell = Target

Upvote 0
- Every time you close your workbook, the last selected cell 'll remain red, so after a while ... !
- this is for the whole workbook ! Are you aware of that ? Perhaps you want it only for one or several sheets.

There was also a funny trick happening in VBA while he/she was examining the last row of the usedrange with specialcells. Apparently something within excel, but by doing so the selection change event is triggered (twice, i think ?). I'm not sure if that 'll bother your colors ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charlottedv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back