vlookup not returning hyperlink to another cell in the workbook

michellehemmings

So i have a contents page which holds my vlookup

=VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,2,FALSE)

and a content summary page which holds a full list of sheets and sheet sections in my workbook.

The vlookup on the contents page pulls the correct data but doesn't pull through the hyperlink to the cell

I am trying to create a user friendly drop down contents page instead of people having to scroll down a 6 page document to find the relevant section in the workbook they require before clicking the link

I have tried
=HYPERLINK(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,2,FALSE)
However this doesn't work as my link is a "place in this document" link

PLEASE HELP!

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi

for an address within the file, you need to add "#" before the address so your formula would become
=HYPERLINK("#" & VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,2,FALSE))

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi

can you post some sample data? for example, in your data, C8 is mentioned and it would also be good to see some data from the 'Content Summary' tab (particularly what matches C8)?
I would have thought the error message means that the Vlookup is returning some data that doesn't match to an area in the main tab, but with some sample data I could 'mock it up' and check

regards

Upvote 0
Hi Ed,

Ok……The purpose of the document is a directory, I wanted a dropdown on the contents page that brought back a list of sub sections on each Consolidators “Profile Page” – Sheet. These sub sections to be clickable and take you directly to the subsection on the relevant sheet. I will have 3 of these documents in total which will hold customers, suppliers and third party details and will contain 30+ Profile pages so I don’t want people to have to scroll down 6 pages to find the section they want to go to hence the drop down list for ease.

Sheet 1 – Contents
Cell C8 has a Data Validation drop down with a list of consolidators in it – Info pulled from Content summary sheet column 1
NFT, Oakland, Yearsley ETC
Cell C9 - =(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,2,FALSE))
Cell C10 - =VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,3, FALSE)
Cell D11 - =IF(LEN(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,4, FALSE))=0,"",(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,4, FALSE)))
Cell D12 - =IF(LEN(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,5, FALSE))=0,"",(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,5, FALSE)))
Cell D13 - =IF(LEN(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,6,FALSE))=0,"",(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,6,FALSE)))
Cell C 14 - ==IF(LEN(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,7,FALSE))=0,"",(VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!1:1048576,7,FALSE)))

There will then be a sheet per consolidator holding a range of information (Cell references will change as data in each sub section gets added but I have put them below as an idea of current set up)
E.G Sheet 2 - NFT
Sub Sections to include
Company Information (Cell A6)
Key Contacts (Cell A18)
Accounts (Cell A20)
Customer Services (Cell A27)
Operations (Cell A34)
Addresses (Cell A41)

Sheet 3 - Oakland
Sub Sections to include
Company Information (Cell A6)
Key Contacts (Cell A18)
Accounts (Cell A20)
Customer Services (Cell A27)
Operations (Cell A34)
Addresses (Cell A41)

And repeated for each individual consolidator

Sheet 5 – Template – A blank copy of the Profile Page layout
Sheet 6 – Content Summary
A table of each sheet and sub section in that sheet with Hyperlinks to “a place in this document”
All hyperlinks work in this sheet exactly how I want them to, but are not pulling through on the contents sheet

Hope this all makes sense

Michelle

Upvote 0
Michelle

hi - I can see a solution via VBA (which would then mean that the main directory Excel file, would be ".xlsm" rather than "xlsx"), would that work for you?

Ed

Upvote 0
Hi Ed,

I am presuming everyone can open an xlsm like an xlsx?

As long as the older generation in our company have no difficulties using it/opening I can’t see any issues.

Never worked in xlsm so wouldn’t know what the difference is in formatting/use.

Thank you so much for your help!

Michelle

Upvote 0
Hi
I think there are 2 options:

Based on Excel functions (so extension remains as ‘.xlsx’)

You would need to add to the ‘Content Summary’ a column/cells which contains in text the actual hyperlink address (e.g. next to the actual ‘NFT - Company Information’ link would be a cell containing “NFT-a6”), and so on for all the other Consolidator links.
ABCDE
1Company InformationSection 1 URL (for formulae only)Key contactsSection 2 URL (for formulae only)
2NFTLinks to NFT Section 1NFT!a6NFT Section 2NFT!a18
3OaklandLinks to Oakland Section1Oakland!a6Oakland Section 2Oakland!a18
4YearsleyLinks to Yearsley Section 1Yearsley!a6Links to Yearsley Section 2Yearsley!a18

<tbody>
</tbody>

1. This new cell can then be referenced to make the formulae behind the hyperlinks on the ‘Contents’ page work correctly. So the formulae on Contents tab would become

=HYPERLINK("#" & VLOOKUP(C8,'Content Summary'!A:E,3,FALSE),C8 & " Section 1")

Within this formula:-

1. You could replace the ‘Section 1’ with whatever friendly text you need.
  2. This Vlookup returns the new text (which is the internal reference to the cell in the file), from column C (e.g. the 3rd column) whilst continuing to look at C8 for the name of the consolidator.
  3. You would need to change the ‘3’ in the vlookup to ‘5’ for use behind the Section 2/Key Contacts link, and so on for the other links, whilst expanding !A:E as needed.
This would mean you could continue with .xlsx, but would mean adding the extra columns/cells and their associated values (obviously the column(s) could then be hidden if needed), the down side of this would mean maintaining this data if anything change(s).

Based on VBA (so extension would become ‘xlsm’)

Add the following VBA code (so ALT+F11, Insert, Module)

Code:
Function GetURL_CS(Whichrow As Integer, WhichCol As Integer) As String
Dim rng As Range
    On Error GoTo 0
    Set rng = Sheets("Content Summary").Cells(Whichrow, WhichCol)
    'GetURL = rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address
    x = rng.Hyperlinks(1).SubAddress
     GetURL_CS = "#" + x
End Function

On the Contents tab, behind the Hyperlink buttons to the sections, add a formula of
=HYPERLINK(GetURL_CS(MATCH(C8,'Content Summary'!A:A,0),2),C8 & " Section 1")
You could again replace the ‘Section 1’ with whatever friendly text you need.

The ‘Content Summary’ tab would look like:

1. The Match in the formula above, returns the hyperlink from column 2 (e.g. ‘B’) in the row that matches the Consolidator.
  2. When you need the link to return column 3 (‘C') you would just change the “!A:A,0),2” to “!A:A,0),3” (and repeat for the other columns)

I hope this makes sense

Ed

Upvote 0
Ed

This is great and exactly what I was looking for, I have used the VBA Option.

My next question is this, is it possible to have the MATCHreturn the text that’s in the content summary sheet as the headings could be differenton each worksheet rather than showing “Section 1” or “Company Information” as Ichanged it to in the below formula?

=HYPERLINK(GetURL_CS(MATCH(C8,'ContentSummary'!A:A,0),2),C8 & " Company Information")

Thank You so much for all your help!!

Michelle

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back