Want users to open in read-only mode, unless they enter the correct password.

adim654

Hi all,
I have an Access 2010 database that is on a shared drive so many people use it, and i want to password protect it so only those with a password can get into the actual file (in case we need to make updates to it.) I'm able to put password protection on the file, but the problem is that users can't even open it in read only mode if they don't know the password. I have done this on an Excel file, where the prompt gives the option of opening in read-only mode or entering the password. Is this possible to do in Access?
Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
It's not as easy as that in Access, I'm afraid. You can google for setting user privileges in MSAccess for more info.

Here's some suggestions for simple security:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/microsoft-access/323604-access-security.html

This is a not so simple solution:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/microsoft-access/248191-tutorial-access-menu-permissions-system.html

Link on this topic for other solutions (best I could find at this time)
permissions - How to control user rights to an Access database? - Stack Overflow

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I have an Access 2010 database that is on a shared drive so many people use it, and i want to password protect it so only those with a password can get into the actual file (in case we need to make updates to it.) I'm able to put password protection on the file, but the problem is that users can't even open it in read only mode if they don't know the password. I have done this on an Excel file, where the prompt gives the option of opening in read-only mode or entering the password. Is this possible to do in Access?
Thanks in advance

Access works much different than Excel.

The proper way to handle this in Access is to first spit the database into a front end and back end.

The Front end .accdb/.mdb is your master source code. You would compile the front end into a .accde/.mde. This locks the design so it can't be changed. The complied front end is what all the user will run.

When you need to make design changes you go back to the master .accdb/.mdb. Once your changes are complete you compile the front end into a .accde/.mde

Also see:

Splitting your Access database into application and data

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...database-03822632-DA43-4D8F-BA2A-68DA245A0446

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back