What I would like to see in Excel 2016

well....

My account was hacked by someone in THAT forum and posted that stuff up there ^^ hahahahaha

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
I know a friend named "DON JULIO" who could help me with that ;)

don-julio_0855_r2.jpg

An N function that would work with arrays.

It already does, doesn't it?

Regards

I've never been able to get it to do that. If it did, I would expect the first formula to return 3 (the value of the text which is 0 plus the two numbers). The regular count of course returning 2

<b>Sheet1</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; padding-left:2pt; padding-right:2pt; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /><col style="width:64px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td >*</td><td >H</td><td >I</td><td >J</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >4</td><td >a</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">7</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td >*</td><td >*</td><td >*</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td >*</td><td >*</td><td >*</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td style="text-align:right; ">1</td><td style="text-align:right; ">2</td><td >*</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Spreadsheet Formulas</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >H7</td><td >{=COUNT(N<span style=' color:008000; '>(H4:K4)</span>)}</td></tr><tr><td >I7</td><td >=COUNT(H4:K4)</td></tr></table></td></tr><tr><td ><span style=' font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:9pt; font-weight:bold;'>Formula Array:</span><span style=' font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:9pt;'><br />Produce enclosing </span><span style=' font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:9pt; font-weight:bold;'>{ }</span><span style=' font-family:Arial,Arial; font-size:9pt;'> by entering<br />formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!</span></td></tr></table> <br /><br /><span style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt; font-weight:bold;background-color:#ffffff; color:#000000; ">Excel tables to the web >> </span>

Last edited:
Ah, yes. I see what you mean. I'm so used to N being used in conjunction with some other, appropriate function that I forget that, on its own, it struggles to coerce an array of returns.

But we need to be a bit more specific: it's not so much that N "won't work with arrays". It's more that it is not able to operate over an array which comprises a range of cells within the actual worksheet, without prior "deferencing" of that range.

For example, there is no problem whatsoever if we attempt:

=COUNT(N({"a",1,7}))

(which does not even require CSE).

If those elements are contained within actual cells, however, as in your example, we need to first "deference" them to their actual values. Often we see this when N is used in conjunction with e.g. OFFSET or INDIRECT, though there are much simpler methods. For example, with H4:J4 contained those values as above ("a", 1 and 7), a simple coercion to numerics, i.e.:

=COUNT(N(0+H4:J4))

with CSE, will resolve to:

=COUNT(N({#VALUE!,1,7}))

and then to:

=COUNT({#VALUE!,1,7})

i.e. 2.

However, this is not quite what you want here, since N("a") should be 0, not an error, as here.

One way to "dereference" ranges into their actual values, whilst retaining the datatype of those values, is:

=COUNT(N(IF({1},H4:J4)))

(No CSE required this time.)

And this nicely coerces (or "deferences") the values in the range H4:J4 into their cell contents, which can then be passed to N.

I take your point, though. It would be nice if N could have this property all on its own, without requiring such additional coercion.

And this is not the only function which behaves like this. DOLLARDE, DEC2BIN, IMSUM and CELL are just a few more examples. For example, with H4:J4 containing 1, 2 and 3:

=SUMPRODUCT(DOLLARDE(H4:J4,5))

will return #VALUE!, though:

=SUMPRODUCT(DOLLARDE(0+H4:J4,5))

correctly returns 6.

Regards

Stop plotting empty cells as zero

Allow a choice to disable the date function (the date functions has caused me MANY errors.)

Allow a choice to disable those annoying flags that cover up my data

Allow choice of older formats. I don't use Excel 2013 because too many buttons were moved and re-named. Simple things in the graphic section became more complicated. Do a key stroke count sometime.

See Fazza's post #70

Allow a choice to disable those annoying flags that cover up my data

If you mean the green error flags, there already is a choice for that.
Go into Excel Options, Formulas. Uncheck Enable Background Error Checking. Click OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back