What is the best way to analyze this data over several periods?

helpneeded2

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I started a new position in my company and I am looking into trying to find the most optimal way to analyze and report on data in our database.

We have very limited reporting options for querying data in our database (minimal viable product) is the key phrase my bosses keep using.

Currently, our database collects data on customers. (i.e. which location they frequent, and each purchase or return transaction they make.) We prepare a monthly report in Excel which shows a basic trend analysis of any specific customer which we wish to review.

Our current process is this:
1. Obtain data on all customers (27,000) via a SQL query that outputs into .xlsx format, for a specified period.
2. The above process is done for each period we wish to review: Life Time, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 YTD, Last 6 months, Last 3 Months, Last Month.
3. For each of those periods, we copy and paste the data into a tab on a master worksheet.
4. Each tab on the master worksheet then calculates all of our analytics for that period (ranks frequency, top purchasers, etc).
5. Our customer review tab, then allows us to type in a customer number, which will then pull in all the information from all the tabs, and display it on a table on the customer review tab, which displays the stats for each of the periods listed above.

To say that this spreadsheet is slow is an understatement. There is no desire from management to enhance our existing user interface with the database to obtain the information we need to do these monthly reports which are required by management and government regulators.

We do have an option via our application interface to download all the transactional data, which does include the customer number, the transaction type done, and the amount of the transaction.

Questions:
  1. I am beginning the early stages of planning a new sheet in which I will dump all 180,000 rows of transactions into a raw data tab, and then I will extract the per period data directly into the customer review tab. Does this seem viable, or will the sheet likely be equally as slow?
  2. Since we have access to the raw data via SQL, is there any other tools / applications that people would recommend for importing this data into, to build the reports we require? While I have an intermediate level of expertise with Excel, I am unfamiliar if there is a more viable option for creating these types of reports. Any recommendations that people might have would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
First, congrats on your new position @helpneeded2 !

Have you thought about using Power Query (already a part of most later Excel for Windows versions) to clean up take care of some of your calculations before it dumps into the currently slow processing master reporting, include removing columns of data that aren't necessary in what the master reporting is to provide. In doing that, it will take out a good number of the formulas that are needing processing as well as lighten the heavy file size some.

It is a different language than Excel functions/formulas, but it is a pretty easy thing to get some basic stuff taken care of and a new tool you can add into your toolbox. Not to mention, you know where to come if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
First, congrats on your new position @helpneeded2 !

Have you thought about using Power Query (already a part of most later Excel for Windows versions) to clean up take care of some of your calculations before it dumps into the currently slow processing master reporting, include removing columns of data that aren't necessary in what the master reporting is to provide. In doing that, it will take out a good number of the formulas that are needing processing as well as lighten the heavy file size some.

It is a different language than Excel functions/formulas, but it is a pretty easy thing to get some basic stuff taken care of and a new tool you can add into your toolbox. Not to mention, you know where to come if you have any questions.

Thank you for the suggestion. I am looking into what Power Query and Power BI are, and what they can do.

I suspect they would be the optimal way to go, but I am not able to find any in-person classes on these applications in my area -- likely due to COVID. I really don't learn well from online courses, so I may just have to find a book on these subjects. (Despite many attempts at trying, this old dog needs physical pages to read off of for my best chance of learning). While my cheap organization would not pay for me to go on a course, I might at least be able to convince them to refund me my book purchase :)

Upvote 0
I, personally, prefer to search as the needs arise. But I totally get it, some basic or minimal training is always helpful.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HockeyBoi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back