Which CPU is fastest for handling large excel calculations?

jeremypyle

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a i5 4690K CPU which currently goes to 100% usage everytime I do big excel formulas. I have to wait for a few minutes for it to finish.

Is there a better CPU that I could get that would make it many times faster? For instance a high end extreme cpu with more cores (say 8 plus), though it seems the mores cores they have the more the clock speed generally drops on them. Would I benefit from having more cores and threads, or having a higher clock speed?

At the moment I have my chip maxed out at 4500ghz. Its a four core/four thread chip. I'm prepared to spend quite a bit in upgrading it, but would it make much difference?

I read in a blog online that someone ended up buying a really expensive CPU with more cores and then excel ended up getting slower instead of faster, because the clock speed per core was lower on the new one:
https://fastexcel.wordpress.com/201...tion-speed-by-changing-the-number-of-threads/

His suspicion was that excel doesn't use all the cores/threads anyway, and that having a higher clock speed was more beneficial. Would love any thoughts and advice!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
I think what starl meant was that the print driver (dependent on the printer type) could impact on processor performance, and therefor calc speed.

Upvote 0
Another avenue to consider is whether the workbook efficiency could be improved by a few orders of magnitude.

Upvote 0
I think it's fairly obvious from Charles' blog that there is no 'one size fits all' solution. If your calculation chain can't be broken up into parallel chunks, then more cores won't help, but more speed will; equally, if it can be split up into multiple chunks, more cores will be better, especially if they are physical cores.

The phrase 'big Excel formulas' always concerns me - it may well be, as shg said, that reworking the formulas is the best solution. I have often found that people use overly complicated array formulas when one or two helper columns greatly simplify things and improve performance.

Upvote 0
Post some of your sample big formula stuff, many ways to skin a cat as they say

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back