Which formula - VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX??! (Excel 2007)

Purple_Girl

Hello,

Would anyone be able to help me figure out a formula that I am stumped on? Basically, I've got a table of data that has Names, Total # Errors (for each name), and Categories (this is the "type" of error for each error listed).

My job is to find the Quality % for each person and for each Category. Which means, for each name, I have 1.) find out how many (the "count" - not sum) of Total Errors they have, and 2.) find out how many of those errors were made in which Category. From there, I can do a simple formula to calculate their Quality % for each Category. The challenging part, for me, is finding out what formula I need to use to find the 1. and 2. listed above.

Can anyone help to figure out a formula for me to use? Here's a sample of the table that I'm working on...

http://tinypic.com/r/j5jfv5/7

Please let me know if you can help!
Thanks SO much!!
Gina
:)

Purple_Girl,

Glad it works so far :D

to match it to a category, the most straightforward way would be to add a criteria range and criteria to the countifs function.

If names are in column a, ttl errors are in b, and category is c: throw this in d2:

=countifs(A:A,a2,B:B,">0",C:C,c2)
or instead of "c2":
=countifs(A:A,a2,B:B,">0",C:C,"Category Name")

Hope it helps :D

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Anytime,

As much great info as I've gotten here, I'm glad I can return the favor for a change.

Cheers :p

Upvote 0
@ Cease (or anyone out there): Oh - another question!! I've now come across the fact that I am going to need to add a condition to one of the references in my formula:

=IF($W15=0," ",COUNTIFS($G:$G,$W15,$C:$C,">0",$I:$I,$AB$8,$A:$A,$AM$5))

W15 is the Name that I want to find
Col G is the list of names
Col C is the list of TTL Errors values
Col I is the list of Categories
AB8 is the Category name that I want to find
Col A is the list of months
AM5 is the month that you select from the drop down list...so, all months are listed and the formula works great when a month is chosen, BUT when "All" is chosen in the drop down, the formula does not know what to do.

My question is, how do I write the formula to include the condition that if "All" is selected, it must still calculate the values??

Thanks to all who respond!!!!
:)

Upvote 0
All, I've figured it out! Here's my new formula:

=IF($W14=0," ",IF($AM$5="(ALL)",COUNTIFS($G:$G,$W15,$C:$C,">0",$I:$I,$AB$8),COUNTIFS($G:$G,$W15,$C:$C,">0",$I:$I,$AB$8,$A:$A,$AM$5)))

:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back