Windows 11 scaling vs chart sizing

BillManville

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I recently obtained a new laptop which has Windows 11.
I maintain an application for a client which runs in Excel 2010 [he has his reasons] with lots of VBA code.
It generates charts and copies a picture of the latest chart into a userform
In previous versions of Windows the sizing of the chart worked fine
Windows 11 has a facility to change the scaling of the display and that screws up my sizing.
For some reason a scaling of 125% gives the desired result. Scaling of 100% results in the chart being too big and scaling of 150% makes it too small for the space available on the user form.
I figure there must be a way to determine the scaling being used and to adjust the size of the chart accordingly
But I can't find a Windows API that will give me the scaling info
Has anyone here found it?

[Hi to any old friends who are hanging out here]

Bill Manville
Ex MVP

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hi Bill -

Long time no see.

I just got a Windows 11 laptop, and I have found that the display is too small to read unless I scale it to 125%. But this causes other issues. I don't use the new laptop enough yet to get sufficiently annoyed to track down the scaling issue. Sorry that I can't help.

Upvote 0
Hi Bill -

Long time no see.

I just got a Windows 11 laptop, and I have found that the display is too small to read unless I scale it to 125%. But this causes other issues. I don't use the new laptop enough yet to get sufficiently annoyed to track down the scaling issue. Sorry that I can't help.
Hi John
Good to see you - and to know that you are seeing similar issues.
I discovered today that in editing my workbook in Excel 2010 / Win 11 with scaling = 125% the listboxes in my userforms all shrank vertically.
I am now re-doing yesterdays edits in Win 10 and cursing that I let myself buy a Win 11 laptop to replace my recently dead Win 10 workhorse that I had been using happily for 6 years.
If anyone spots anything that relates to this problem please let me know
Meanwhile I would suggest caution if considering moving VBA solutions to Win 11
Bill

Upvote 0
Bill -

I've played around (and Googled) and found that if I set the Display Scale to 100 and Text Size to 125, my Windows 11 machine works visually like every Windows 10 and earlier machine I've ever used. I've only tested with how the screen looks and how screenshots are scaled when I crop them and paste them back onto the Excel worksheet I screenshotted, not with images on UserForms, but now that the screenshots line up with the original views, I think the UserForm images might work out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for doing this checking John
When I get back from Malta, next week, I will see if I can confirm that those settings work for me and don't damage my userforms.
Of course it is only a partial solution for me as I would want the app to work correctly regardless of the user's scaling settings as it would be unreasonable to require the user to change theirs.

Bill

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back