Workbooks open immediately from Excel, delayed from Taskbar

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
If I have one or more workbooks open and I open a new one from the Taskbar, there will be a delay of something like 3-10 seconds, even for very small workbooks with only 1 sheet and very little data. However, if I move the cursor at any point in that time span, the new workbook opens immediately. If I open the exact same workbook under the exact same conditions from within Excel (File | click on a file), it always opens immediately. I don't recall this happening with my old Win 10 computer.

This is not a big deal, but I am curious if anyone has any ideas why this is happening?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Ok, so I don't have any workbooks on my task bar, so I put one on my desktop and also tried one from a windows explorer window.

In both cases, double clicking on the file had a delay of about 2 to 3 seconds compared to opening it from the file menu. Maybe windows is having to determine the native application, send a command to open the file and wait for Excel to determine if the application is open first. Whereby, when you open a file from the FILE menu, Excel doesn't need to determine it's status.

I don't remember if that happened on Windows 10 or before

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kersh82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back