WorksheetFunction.Match not working for numbers

Andrew1234

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi i have a piece of code that is not working correctly for numbers. it will work perfectly when the cell value has at least one letter in it, but if the cell value is only numbers it will not work.

I have a very limited understanding of VBA so any help at all is very much appreciated!

here is the code that am currently using.
VBA Code:
Dim TargetRow As Integer

TargetRow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Sheets("Engine").Range("B9").Value, Sheets("Product Data").Range("dyn_Product_Barcode"), 0)

Sheets("Engine").Range("B5") = TargetRow

Engine B9 show the last selected barcode. Engine B5 is meant to show the row that the selected barcode is in.

If there is no issue with the code i think think that my issue could be something to do with how my cell is formatted as when it is stored as a number the cell value is something like this ... 5.01102E+12
whereas when it is stored as text it will just show the barcode as it is ...5011020103539

Also... When i select a barcode that has only numbers i can see in my engine sheet that the value of B9 will be stored as a text even though it is a number.
Everytime i change the format of engine B9 to general but it always autochanges back to text when i select a new product from the list box. Could this be my issue?
Cell B9 is generated from a listbox within a userform. I have a search userform that i search for products on and then click the product i require then i can click an edit button. (the edit button is the one that has the .Match code in it)

There are many areas that could cause this issue so i am very grateful to anyone who takes the time to help me.

Many thanks in advance!
Andrew

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi,
see if this update to your code will resolve your issue

VBA Code:
Sub Andrew1234()
    Dim TargetRow   As Variant, Search As Variant
    Dim wsEngine    As Worksheet
    Dim rngSearch   As Range

Set wsEngine = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Engine")
    Set rngSearch = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Product Data").Range("dyn_Product_Barcode")

Search = wsEngine.Range("B9").Value
    If IsNumeric(Search) Then Search = CLng(Search)

TargetRow = Application.Match(Search, rngSearch, 0)
    If Not IsError(TargetRow) Then wsEngine.Range("B5") = TargetRow

End Sub

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi Dave, many thanks for your reply.

I have copied your code and replaced my code with your and i recieve an error seen in the image below.
Screenshot 2023-05-08 140152.gif

Here is the code in full. hopefully this gives you more understanding of my issue.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub SearchUfEditButton_Click()

Sheets("Engine").Range("B4").Value = "EDIT"
Sheets("Engine").Range("B9") = Search_UF.ListBox1

'If Sheets("Engine").Range("B9") = "" Then
'Exit Sub
'End If
 Dim TargetRow   As Variant, Search As Variant
    Dim wsEngine    As Worksheet
    Dim rngSearch   As Range

Set wsEngine = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Engine")
    Set rngSearch = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Product Data").Range("dyn_Product_Barcode")

Search = wsEngine.Range("B9").Value
    If IsNumeric(Search) Then Search = CLng(Search)

TargetRow = Application.Match(Search, rngSearch, 0)
    If Not IsError(TargetRow) Then wsEngine.Range("B5") = TargetRow

'Dim TargetRow As Integer

'TargetRow = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Sheets("Engine").Range("B9").Value, Sheets("Product Data").Range("dyn_Product_Barcode"), 0)
'Sheets("Engine").Range("B5") = TargetRow

'''BEGIN RECIEVING DATA FROM DATABASE'''
AddProduct_UF.Txt_barcode = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 1).Value 'barcode to UF
AddProduct_UF.Txt_prodtitle = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 2).Value 'product title to UF
AddProduct_UF.Txt_description = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 3).Value 'product description to UF
AddProduct_UF.Combo_category = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 4).Value 'category selected to UF
AddProduct_UF.Combo_location = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 5).Value 'location in store to UF
AddProduct_UF.Txt_supplier = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 6).Value 'supplier information UF
AddProduct_UF.Txt_cost = Sheets("Product Data").Range("Data_start").Offset(TargetRow, 7).Value 'unit cost of item UF
'''END RECIEVING DATA FROM DATABASE'''

AddProduct_UF.Show

End Sub

many thanks,
Andrew

Upvote 0
I wonder if you have the same issue as I mentioned here: Vba: Application.VLookup doesn't work with numeric values (error 2042)

Jusy like VLOOKUP, the data types of the data you are matching on MUST be EXACTLY the same.
If you are trying to match numbers to "numbers entered as text", it will not work. You need to standardize the data so you are comparing like data types.

Upvote 0
I wonder if you have the same issue as I mentioned here: Vba: Application.VLookup doesn't work with numeric values (error 2042)

Jusy like VLOOKUP, the data types of the data you are matching on MUST be EXACTLY the same.
If you are trying to match numbers to "numbers entered as text", it will not work. You need to standardize the data so you are comparing like data types.
Hi joe,

Yes i do think that my issue is something similar. How to i standardise the data?

I am not an expert in excel by any means, but i tried selecting relevant cells and changing to format to general and then trying it as a text and also a number but I didn't succeed with this. so i am not sure

Upvote 0
See if coercing to a longlong data type resolves the issue

VBA Code:
If IsNumeric(Search) Then Search = CLngLng(Search)

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi joe,

Yes i do think that my issue is something similar. How to i standardise the data?

I am not an expert in excel by any means, but i tried selecting relevant cells and changing to format to general and then trying it as a text and also a number but I didn't succeed with this. so i am not sure
Do you have any value that have leading zeroes which must be maintained?
Can you post a small sampling of the data you are matching on (just the data from the columns being matched)?
Be sure to include the different types (you said some have letters and some do not).

Upvote 0
See if coercing to a longlong data type resolves the issue

VBA Code:
If IsNumeric(Search) Then Search = CLngLng(Search)

Dave
1683558203761.png

Thank you but unfortunately i have received another error.
but it is a different error than previously so the change has done something .
Any other suggestions?

Regards
Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristinh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back