Jun='Example 2'!$F$2C5
Mar='Example 2'!$C$2C5
May='Example 2'!$E$2C5
Months_RA='Example 2'!$A$1:$L$1C5:C6
Nov='Example 2'!$K$2C5
Oct='Example 2'!$J$2C5
Sep='Example 2'!$I$2C5

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I got so concerned with XL2BB that I forgot to post my question. In the sample above, the formula in C6 does not work, but I can't figure out why. Please help. The Indirect function would appear to use the right references in the right position of the formula, but something isn't working.

Thanks,
Steve/Jazz Engineer

Upvote 0
The reason C6 is returning a #VALUE error isn't because of the INDIRECT function... it's because your arrays are different sizes.

In your example, Months_RA is an array that is 1 row x 12 columns... but each of your months' named ranges are single cells.

Rewriting C6's formula for the named ranges' references, C6's formula is the equivalent of =XLOOKUP(B6,A1:L1,B2), which gives #VALUE error because the 2nd and 3rd parameters are different sizes.

Maybe something got lost in translation as you tried to generalize your actual use into the sample you provided?

Upvote 0
The reason C6 is returning a #VALUE error isn't because of the INDIRECT function... it's because your arrays are different sizes.

In your example, Months_RA is an array that is 1 row x 12 columns... but each of your months' named ranges are single cells.

Rewriting C6's formula for the named ranges' references, C6's formula is the equivalent of =XLOOKUP(B6,A1:L1,B2), which gives #VALUE error because the 2nd and 3rd parameters are different sizes.

Maybe something got lost in translation as you tried to generalize your actual use into the sample you provided?
OakTree,

Thanks for your response. This is not the first time I've made this mistake. But I missed the solution you seemed to provide. Did you? Also, is there any easy fix to this formula? I will try to make the 3rd parameter A2:L2.

Steve

Upvote 0
Honestly, my recommendation is just to use the formula you already have in C5 and remove the named ranges entirely. C5 is more transparent than looking through 13 named ranges would be...

If there are other reasons for using the named ranges, I'd just have one for the labels (e.g. Months_RA = A1:L1) and one for the values (e.g. Values_RA = A2:L2).

Then, you could use =XLOOKUP(B6, Months_RA,Values_RA)

Upvote 0
Solution
OK. I think I resolved it with an HLookUp. I thought I was doing what you recommend but I couldn't figure it out. I know this is a very simple example, but I've been working with pretty large data sets and my curiosity got to me.

Thanks, Oaktree,

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bharathi V

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back