Please explain what the two neg signs are in Sumproduct(--

Dickison

Board Regular
I've seen a number of formulas on this board that have two negative signs in them such as sumproduct(--...). I don't understand what these are for since a double negative is a positive.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Re: Please explain what the two neg signs are in Sumproduct(

As I understand it, the -- coerces, or changes whatever is in the parentheses (usually a range equal to, greater than, etc. some other value or range) to a TRUE or FALSE value.

Then the SUMPRODUCT() function (usually, anyway) takes all the TRUEs, and multiplies them together, giving you a range where only the criteria you've met are true.

Does that help some? I'm sure others will explain a little differently -- sometimes that's what it takes to "get" something.

Upvote 0

Here's how I like to think of it:

For some reason, Excel does not seem to handle boolean expressions (True and False) the same way every time, at least when there is math involved.
- Sometimes True = 1 and False = 0 automatically.
- Sometimes it needs to be "coerced", meaning you have to do some math with it. (I'm still fuzzy on when it needs to be coerced, and when it doesn't, so I assume I need to coerce anytime I do math with booleans)
- The easiest Math (and according to what I've read on these boards, the fastest calculation wise) is --. -- 5 is still 5. It doesn't actually change it. Negative 1 x Negative 1 x BOB is still BOB. But as far as Excel is concerned, you have done a mathematical thing to it
For a Boolean, that means Trues and Falses are officially "Coerced" into a number, specifically:
--True becomes a 1, and --False becomes a 0

This just happens to come up a lot when using the SumProduct Function. The SumProduct needs numbers, so anything that is a boolean must be "coerced". The -- is not really part of the SumProduct Function, that is why you don't see it in the help menu for SumProduct()

The -- comes up a lot when using the SumProduct function, because often we like to use Booleans with the SumProduct. Like, if you've ever wanted to do a SumIf() that depends on more than one condition.

For Example: You have three columns of Data A, B, C (Sales, Day of Week, AM or PM)

You might want to add up the Sales for Monday Afternoons. Well...
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A10,--(B1:B10="Monday"),--(C1:C10="PM"))

Notice then 2nd and 3rd Arrays have --, but the first does not.
The first is a number, so it does not need the --

Essentially, the formula works through the arrays:
If B1 is Monday and C1 is PM, then include A1 in the total
If B2 is Monday and C2 is PM, then add A2 to the total etc.

Really SumProduct performs a Dot product, multiply the components and adding them all together.
In this case that is A1 * B1 * C1 + A2 * B2 * C2 + ...

Because the B and C elements are Trues and Falses coerced to 1's and 0's. This statement effectively becomes a SumIf Statement with 2 conditions. If either the B element or the C element is zero, then it doesn't matter what value is in A, because A * 0 is zero. If B and C are both True (coerced to be 1), then the A gets included in the sum. Notice without coercion, you will always get 0. (You could add a lot more by adding more Arrays, I suppose in principle you could have 10 or more conditions, that's pretty cool.)

The SumProduct function is far more than a compound SumIF function, but that is the way I've used it most. Really you could perform any operation to the elements of each array, it doesn't have to be = something, you could square them, halve them or perform most mathematical operations I think.

I think I'm expressing some ideas I've been thinking about lately. I hope this helps someone out there.

Upvote 0

Thanks to all for the excellent explanations.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back