Overwrite a cell that is calculated?

bandit_1981

Board Regular
Ok I do not think this is even possiable but i want to make sure before I tell them no. They want to have cell values calculate but in the case that it calculatues wrong or an exception to a rule occurs they want to be able to overwrite the value. Since the forumla is written in the cell they cant just type it into the cell becuase that would get rid of the formula and it would become data entry from there on. Any Ideas.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
If I understand you correctly, there *MAY* be an acceptable workaround.

Let's say that the calculation is in cell C1. And let's say it is something really basic, like =A1+B1. Now if they want the abaility to override it, you could use cell D1, and say if there is a value in D1, use that, else use the calculation.

So essentially, your formula in C1 should change to:
=IF(LEN(D1)>0,D1,A1+B1)

That way you have the ability to override C1 without losing the calculation formula.

Upvote 0
Ok i liked it but the bosses did not. It adds to many columns to the Spread Sheet. I dont think it can be done any other way though unless i leave excel calcs and use vba. Any Ideas.

Upvote 0
A cell cannot contain a formula and a hard-coded value simulaneously. It has to be one or the other. If they overwrite the formula with a hard-coded value, then the formula will be gone.

You can write VBA that can automatically populate a cell with a formula, i.e. if there a hard-coded value in the cell, and they delete it, you can have VBA automatically put the formula back in the cell.

If you have an some other idea of how you this should work, let us know and we can let you know if it is possible.

Upvote 0
That is what i was thinking. That way once they delete the overriden the formula would come back and work again. I think that just might work. Would i just accomplish this. A loop in the selection change checking for a forumla and using the target.address for a ref?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I was thinking more of using the Worksheet_Change event.

You can use the Intersect method to see if your changed cell is in the range where the formula should occur (see Intersect in Excel VBA help for a good example).

Also, you want to check for the Target cell to be empty or blank (Target=""), as that will denote that the value has been deleted.

Here is a great write-up on event procedures:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm

If you need help please post back. I will be in and out of meetings most of the day.

Upvote 0
I might be using the intersect wrong but once it goes in to the IF the values of the formula is already lost. Would I not need to grab the value before the cell is changed. SOrry to be such a pain I am new to excel.

Upvote 0
Ok i have wirtten the code to store out the formula and the nput it back now i just need a way to store it out and i will be gold.

Upvote 0
Code:
now i just need a way to store it out
What do you mean? Isn't it stored in the Worksheet_Change event?

Can you post your code, and tell me what you still need it to do that it is not already doing?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moaz_cma

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back