Placing User form

BernieMtl

Board Regular
I have created a user form (thanks Datsmart), and now need to place the data that will be inserted in that userfom onto my spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet will have 50 rows, each containing a different project. There will be a button on each row to activate the user form for that specific row. They click the button on the spreadsheet, and the user form opens. They enter the data on the user form, and once they click the "add comment" button on the user form, the data should be entered in the last cell of the row on which the button is located.

Now the complicated part:

The users will use that for to update the project from week to week, but each week's comment needs to go in the same cell, but above the previous comment.

IE:

Week 1

Jan 1: Project lauched

Week 2

Jan 6: Project budget submitted

Week 3

Jan 22: Budget approved

The date being the date from the user form, and the comment being the comment from the user form. If the latest date can be bolded that would be a bonus.

They each have to go in the same cell cause all relate to the same project. This same thing will be repeated 50 times for each different project.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Why 50 buttons?

Have you considered adding a combobox/listbox to the userform that lists the projects?

This would give the user the option to pick the project.

PS I'm a little confused about what you want to do with comments.

Do you mean you want to add to existing comments?

Upvote 0
I want all the projects to show up on the list as it reminds them to update.

That is exactly it, add to existing comments within the same cell. I want the comments to be cumulative, in order of date with the latest being on top.

Thanks

Bern

Upvote 0
So why not use a listbox on the userform?

Where exactly are the comments located and where is the data to be added to them located?

I assume it's on the userform?

Upvote 0
There are 6 columns in each row:

Project number, Team Lead, Client, Budget, Comletion date, Comments

The first 5 are stagnant, and will never change throughout the project. The only one that will be updated week to week is the last..."comments"

Initially I had instructed the staff to place their cursor at the front of the previous weeks comment, and hit "alt-enter" to go to the preceding line and enter the latest comment.

But they cant seem to wrap their heads around this. It keep coming back all messed up, so I am trying to automize this part only (the date and comment part).

Bern

Upvote 0
Bern

So you aren't actually referring to 'real' comments created using Insert>Comment...?

It's just a cell for comments?

Upvote 0
Can anyone help with this?

Looking to place the data inputed on a userform in a specific place within a specific cell.

IE:

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Jan 22: Budget approved

If I use week 3 as an example, the user would complete the user form (which has a date box, and a comment box) and click "enter" on the user form, and the info he entered on Jan 22 would be placed in the same cell but above the preceding entry of Jan 6. And so on troughout the project.

The user form would be activated once the user clicks within that cell or could be activated by a button. Both the date and the text come from the user form, and the most recent entry should always be placed first.

Upvote 0
Bern

It's still unclear, to me anyway, how you have your data organised and where you want data from the userform to go.

You've not really mentioned rows/columns.:)

Upvote 0
As far as I can see, this piece of code should do the trick for the comments :-
Code:
range(rangeref)=userform1.textbox1.value & vbcrlf & range(rangeref).value

Basically, that will take whatever is in the textbox on your userform, and a line-feed and then add the comments already in the cell.

You'll need to find some way of referring to the correct cell and alter the Userform1.textbox1 section to suit your needs, but it should be quite close.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KMGLarson

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back