trace dependent tool isn't working

marnie

Board Regular
This is the 1st time this ever happened to me. My trace precendent tool is working, but my trace dependent tool isn't. I know for a fact that the active cell affects other cells. If I open up an older version of the file, both tools are working. It's just this month's version. I even tried starting over by opening last month's version, saving under a new name and adding the new data. As soon as I add the new tab, this is a problem.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Here’s a history of my files. January I create a file with 1 tab for the month. When February comes, I open this file, copy the January tab to a new tab, rename it February and populate the tab with February data. Then save the file under a new name. I now have 2 tabs, January & February. When March comes around, I do it again. This is fine through March. It seems that when I create the April tab, it becomes a problem. I even tried deleting the file and starting over with the March file again. But as soon as I create the April tab, the trace dependent function is gone. Also, “calculate” appears in the status bar. I have it set for automatic calculation. Even if I hit F9, it recalculates, but the status bar still says “calculate”. This didn’t bother me, but now that I see my trace dependent isn’t working, I’m concerned. I tried starting over a 3rd time and the same thing happened with the new file. It’s not happening with any other files I copy and update. This file I’m working with is fairly large, but I have many larger files that I update the same way and haven’t had any problems.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Thanks for finding that thread. Maybe it's the same issue. Although, I couldn't find DisplayDrawingObjects anywhere in the menus. But I did find under Tools, Options on the View tab there's a choice for Objects. It already has "show all" chosen. Is that the same thing the other thread was talking about? One thing with the other thread is that person lost all the auditing functions. I only lost one.

Thanks
Marnie

Upvote 0
I think I found the answer to my problem on Microsoft's boards so I thought I'd share if anyone wants to know. It doesn't exactly fix the problem, but it explains why this may be happening. Maybe it will work for others who have had this problem and have different versions of excel. I have an older version of excel. I'm not sure if this link will take you directly there, but the thread was called "trace dependent tool doesn't work but trace precedent does".

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...ltr=&mid=66e4a554-6f16-46eb-876c-122bd7b6a926

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back