AutoFit and Merged Cells

DavidCroft

I'm programmatically inserting some text into merged cells in a row. I have Wrap Text set and want the row height to expand as necessary to accommodate multiple lines of text. I was programmatically applying AutoFit once the cells had been filled but that didn't work. I subsequently found a Knowledge Base article saying the AutoFit doesn't work for merged cells! I can try to compute the row height required to accommodate the number of lines of wrapping text. But I don't really want to climb into calculating character widths etc. Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
David

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I had to do this once.

The following hack is how I manged to circumvent the problem... (hey I was in a hurry OK)

On the same row as the merged cells, I went way out to the right in a non-visible part of the worksheet and created a column that was the same width as all the merged cells combined.

I had the macro load both the single cell way out to the right and the visible merged cells with the same text. Since the single cell was set to resize itself and it was on the same row as the merged cells it always adjusted the height of my merged cells properly to display the text.

Yes, it's hacky. But it got the job done and I haven't bothered to revisit it since.

Upvote 0
Aaron, hack as hack we must. I've had that same problem many times, and had given up using Wrap-text in merged cells. Your solution sounds perfect. Kicking myself for not having thought of it myself.

Upvote 0
Aaron,
Doesn't feel like a hack to me. More of a cool, lateral thinking approach.
Thanks a bunch,
David

Upvote 0
Hi,

Nice one Aroon :)

Here is an alternative solution which I picked up several years ago:

<PRE>
<FONT color=blue>Private <FONT color=blue>Sub </FONT></FONT>Worksheet_SelectionChange(<FONT color=blue>ByVal</FONT> Target<FONT color=blue> As</FONT> Range)

<FONT color=#ff0000>'Original created by Jim Rech
</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>Set </FONT>Target = Range("A1:A10")

<FONT color=blue>If </FONT>Intersect(ActiveCell, Target) Is<FONT color=blue> Nothing</FONT><FONT color=blue> Then </FONT><FONT color=blue>Exit Sub</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>Dim </FONT>snCurrRowH<FONT color=blue> As</FONT><FONT color=blue> Single</FONT>, MergedCellRgWidth<FONT color=blue> As</FONT><FONT color=blue> Single</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>Dim </FONT>CurrCell<FONT color=blue> As</FONT> Range

<FONT color=blue>Dim </FONT>ActiveCellWidth<FONT color=blue> As</FONT><FONT color=blue> Single</FONT>, PossNewRowHeight<FONT color=blue> As</FONT><FONT color=blue> Single</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>Dim </FONT>stCell<FONT color=blue> As</FONT><FONT color=blue> String</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>With </FONT>ActiveCell.MergeArea

<FONT color=blue>If </FONT>.Rows.Count = 1 And .WrapText =<FONT color=blue> True</FONT> Then

Application.ScreenUpdating =<FONT color=blue> False</FONT>

snCurrRowH = .RowHeight

ActiveCellWidth = ActiveCell.ColumnWidth

<FONT color=blue>For </FONT>Each CurrCell In Selection

MergedCellRgWidth = CurrCell.ColumnWidth + _

MergedCellRgWidth

Next

.MergeCells =<FONT color=blue> False</FONT>

.Cells(1).ColumnWidth = MergedCellRgWidth

.EntireRow.AutoFit

PossNewRowHeight = .RowHeight

.Cells(1).ColumnWidth = ActiveCellWidth

.MergeCells =<FONT color=blue> True</FONT>

.RowHeight = IIf(snCurrRowH > PossNewRowHeight, _

snCurrRowH, PossNewRowHeight)

<FONT color=blue>End If</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>End With</FONT>

<FONT color=blue>End Sub</FONT>
</PRE>

Do get it to work as it is above uncheck "Move selection after Enter".

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I need a little more help with this. My issue seems to related to Excel column widths. If I have ten merged cells each with a width of 2 (as shown on the user interface) and I then create a column of width 20. The column is not as wide as the merged cells. I've experimented with this, with 2 merged cells versus a column sized at twice the width of one cell I can visually see a slight discrepancy and of course that grows with the number of cells.
David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back