can you control thickness of row/column headings?

Gates Is Antichrist

Referring to where the top of a sheet says
A B C D
and the left side row display also:

For some workbooks they are thicker than others. For my only weird reasons I would like to make them identical - so that when I click from one file to another, the cell area is identically sized.

I have this in XL2002 but this has been the case for several years and versions - which is how long I've been trying to beat this beast. Does anyone know about this?

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
There are so many factors that determine row height and column width. Just a few:

A row's height is determined by the size of the largest font in any cell in that row.

Columns could have been set at one time to fit the widest entry in that column.

Different workbooks and/or worksheets could have been set at different magnifications (zoom).

etc., etc.

Unless you have a bunch of exactly identical workbooks/sheets, why bother?

Upvote 0
Mudface - Greetings from Rainy Miserable Hell. No, this is NOT zoom. Open a couple of sheets and see if you see this.

BK - I wasn't asking about height and width, but thank you once again for your commentary.

Upvote 0
Barry: I DO have identically frameworked worksheets, which is why I bother. It's highly frustrating to not be able to view AN EARLIER GENERATION OF THE SAME FILE in the same size as it is currently.

AAR I hoped to avert yet another "Why are you doing this?" by taking the offensive in my first message. Boy, am I a fool for thinking that - ROFL!!

Upvote 0
On 2002-12-10 15:25, Gates Is Antichrist wrote:
Mudface - Greetings from Rainy Miserable Hell. No, this is NOT zoom. Open a couple of sheets and see if you see this.

Hmm, sorry, they all look pretty much the same to be honest. Anyone else?

(I'll have to change to Bloody Freezing Hull for a bit, I think...)

Upvote 0
Sorry, Gates, I guess I was being a trifle flippant. My apologies.

I just opened 5 new workbooks and they were exactly identical, including the thickness of the column and row headings and the number of columns and rows shown on the screen. You say it has nothing to do with zoom or with manual or autofit sizing of the rows and columns. Can't begin to say why you are having this problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks for checking. I can't produce it on demand. When I start new workbooks it seems to produce identical sizes.

But over time, I get a mish-mash. If I [randomly] grab a couple of files created at different dates, some are thick and some thin.

Over the years I've talked to many others who had this, but no one has ever resolved it.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I´ve seen some strange thing happend with workbooks during the years and one of the sources for it seems to be the number of font (types & sizes) involved.

What will happend if You restore the font, i e only have one font applied in the workbooks?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Dennis you may have something there (albeit bizarre) !! I'll need to experiment more with it. It's a crappy deal, but if that turns out to be the actual explanation, I'll be glad to at least grasp how this works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timber5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back