I need a formula that add text from different sheets.

paul-elkem

Hi,

My workbook consists of 21 sheets.

Sheet 2:Sheet21 are used to enter data; one sheet pr person. The name of the person is entered in cell A1, and is always entered. Cell A2:A21 is numbered from 1 to 20. Each person can only enter a value (if needed) in the range B2:B21.

Sheet 1 is the overview sheet. The cellrange A2:A21 is numbered from 1 to 20. I'm looking for a formula in the cellrange B2:B21 that shows the persons name (taken from cell A1 in sheet 2 to sheet 21) if he/she has entered a value in his/her own sheet.

Example: Sheet 2 belong to Janet and Sheet 21 to Owen, and those two are the only one who have entered a value in cell B2. The result in Sheet 1, cell B2, should then be Janet, Owen.

Could this be done?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
paul-elkem said:
Numeric value. Each person does enter in her/his worksheet.

Good. That simplifies things. Forgat to ask:

How these person-related sheets named?

Also, Do you have the morefunc add-in?

Upvote 0
Yes, I use morefunc add-in.

I've not decieded how to name the sheets yet, it could be a employee number or initials, or something else. Maybe you have a suggestion?

Paul

Upvote 0
paul-elkem said:
Yes, I use morefunc add-in.

I've not decieded how to name the sheets yet, it could be a employee number or initials, or something else. Maybe you have a suggestion?

Paul

I'm not sure about its stability and about whether this setup is what you have in mind...

Insert 2 new worksheets, name them First and Last, respectively, and put all the employee sheets between these First and Last.

Some employee sheets...
Book14
ABCD
1Jane
Jane
Book14
ABCD
1Owen
Owen

Sheet1
Book14
ABCD
21Jane,Owen
43Paul
Sheet1

Formula in B2 is...

=SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(IF(THREED(First:Last!B2),","&THREED(First:Last!$A$1),"")),",","",1)

which must be array-entered. As you see, it uses two functions from the morefunc add-in.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Aladin,
but somehow your solution does not work for me, and I do not understand why. I've done what you suggested: my two employee sheets, named Jane and Owen, are located between two blank sheets named First and Last respectively. In the sheets named Janet and Owen information is entered in Cell A1 (the name) and B2 (a numeric value).

The formula
=SUBSTITUTE(MCONCAT(IF(THREED(First:Last!B2),","&THREED(First:Last!$A$1),"")),",","",1)
is entered in cell B2 in a sheet named Overview which is placed before the sheet named First.

The result is a completely blank cell - none information at all.

But if I enter information in the sheet named First; I type First in cell A1 and 5 in cell B2, well - then I get a result, but only the word First. Owen and Janet can still not be seen.

And if I delete the value 5 in the sheet named First, cell B2 in the overview sheet shows nothing. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that the formula

=MCONCAT(IF(THREED(First:Last!B2),","&THREED(First:Last!$A$1),"")).

stops after "examin" the sheet named First, and does not continue to the next sheet and so on.

PS
I have tried a different formula =MCONCAT(THREED(First:Last!A1)) in cell A1 in the sheet named Overview, and it works fine. That is - both mconcat and threed funcition seems to work.

Upvote 0
First and Last should be completely empty.

Did you enter that Substitute formula using control+shift+enter?

Upvote 0
First and Last were all blank.

But I did not enter that Substitute formula using control+shift+enter.

I fact this is the first time I use it, and it's working :P Yeah.

Thanks, thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back