Plotting a data point on an exisiting line graph

Visual_Deadlock

Hi all. I have a line chart, for the sake of simplicity, lets say the line chart depicts the garph of y = x. What I need to do now is display a particular point on this line, lets says (2,2). How can I add this point so that I lies on the line chart? Also, what I would like to do is have a horizontal line connecting the point to the y-axis and a vertical line connecting to the x-axis. On top of that, the vertical line from the x-axis will have the corresponding x value of the point (2) displayed and the vertical line will display the corresponding y value (also 2). The additional complexity is that this point, (2,2) is not static, it can change to 1,1 or 3,3, or whatever. I need the lines to move with the point so that it also reflects the x and y values of the point.

I know this is hard to describe without a picture, but if you understand what I am trying to do please help.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
For a dynamic solution, check the Excel | Add-Ins | 'Interactive Chart' page on my web site.

Visual_Deadlock said:
Hi all. I have a line chart, for the sake of simplicity, lets say the line chart depicts the garph of y = x. What I need to do now is display a particular point on this line, lets says (2,2). How can I add this point so that I lies on the line chart? Also, what I would like to do is have a horizontal line connecting the point to the y-axis and a vertical line connecting to the x-axis. On top of that, the vertical line from the x-axis will have the corresponding x value of the point (2) displayed and the vertical line will display the corresponding y value (also 2). The additional complexity is that this point, (2,2) is not static, it can change to 1,1 or 3,3, or whatever. I need the lines to move with the point so that it also reflects the x and y values of the point.

I know this is hard to describe without a picture, but if you understand what I am trying to do please help.

Upvote 0
tusharm said:
For a dynamic solution, check the Excel | Add-Ins | 'Interactive Chart' page on my web site.

Tusharm. Just checked out that Interactive Chart on your page. And it is a picture exactly what I want. You know that point "NPV CDF" where there is a horizontal line from the Y-axis to the datapoint (90.1%) and a vertical line coming up from the 1000 on the x-axis? I need to do exactly that, have that 90.1% point shown and then the lines. How do I do that?

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly, I add a new series for each of the vertical and horizontal lines. The vertical line at x=1000, y=90.1% would be =SERIES(,{1000,1000},{0,0.901},{appropriate series number})

For points between the known data values, I use piece-wise linear interpolation.

Visual_Deadlock said:
tusharm said:

Tusharm. Just checked out that Interactive Chart on your page. And it is a picture exactly what I want. You know that point "NPV CDF" where there is a horizontal line from the Y-axis to the datapoint (90.1%) and a vertical line coming up from the 1000 on the x-axis? I need to do exactly that, have that 90.1% point shown and then the lines. How do I do that?

Upvote 0
Uff, sorry for the context, I am sure I've heard the word "awful" also in the meaning of "fabulous".

that's the problem with us guys who think they speak fluent English.

I am going back to the school desk.

Jon's site is GREAT and I learned a lot from his tricks!

I am sorry

Martin :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Upvote 0
Martin -

Don't worry. I knew what you meant from the context, and I was just poking a little fun.

In colloquial American English, there are many contradictory idioms. Sometimes "bad" means good, and my daughter's latest synonym for "cool" is "ILL"! Took me a while to figure that one out.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html
_______

Upvote 0
Hi Jon,

don't worry about my sense of humor.

Have a nice day and keep the good work at your ILL site! :p

Martin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back